Sherri Fountain is a partner in our Business Law Group and is based in the Calgary office. Sherri’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions. She is an accomplished practitioner and lead advisor to large corporate clients and has managed substantial and diverse legal teams through to the delivery of sophisticated transaction solutions. She has a wealth of experience advising Canadian, US and international clients with complex corporate transactions.
Sherri has lead a wide range of corporate transactions across a breadth of sectors including oil and gas exploration and development, real estate, road transportation, oilfield services and downstream oil and gas operations. Sherri has extensive experience with mergers and acquisitions, asset and share acquisitions and dispositions, governance and business combination structures, project development and financing, joint ventures, partnerships and management arrangements, real estate acquisitions and dispositions and real estate/asset backed commercial lending.
Relevant experience has included acting for or advising:
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited as lead counsel respecting its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Devon Canada Corporation for $3.775 billion
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited as lead counsel respecting its takeover bid acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Laricina Energy Ltd.
- Gleniffer Lake Resort Ltd. as lead counsel respecting its acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Resort Development Funding Corporation, the assets of which include a water supply and distribution utility, sewage disposal and treatment utility, water treatment facility, golf course and mixed use real property
- A Canadian/US real estate developer with respect to its limited partnership with CN Rail for the financing, development and construction of Whirlpool’s Western Canadian Regional Distribution Center and as lead counsel respecting the sale of the partnership to AIMCo
- One of the world’s leading integrated oil and gas companies with respect to its entry into Canada in the downstream space
- A pipeline fabrication and services corporation as lead counsel with respect to its share exchange with a private equity fund
- Suncor Energy Inc. as lead counsel respecting the sale of its $1 billion conventional portion of its natural gas business in Western Canada to Centrica plc and Qatar Petroleum International
- Shell Canada as lead counsel respecting the combination of the commercial road transportation businesses of Shell Canada Products and Flying J Canada Inc. in Canada
- Union Bank of California on its $1 billion financing of the Harbinger assets (three co-gen facilities located in BC, Alberta and Ontario)
- A significant Calgary based North American road transportation company with respect to its corporate governance, corporate commercial strategic advice and transaction leadership
- RREEF on its purchase of the Prince Rupert container terminal
- Fording Inc. following its defence of the hostile bid launched by Sherritt International Corporation and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, Fording’s related conversion to an income trust and Fording’s participation in the formation of the Elk Valley Coal Partnership, the world’s second largest producer of metallurgical coal (lead project closing team)
- An Owner Consortium on the Terra Nova Development Project, an offshore oil development project having estimated pre-production development costs of $2 billion and estimated capital and operating costs (excluding transportation) of $3–$4 billion, including negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to the fiscal regime with the Province of Newfoundland, an alliance agreement with the Grand Banks Alliance, a development and operating agreement, inter-owner security and drilling contracts
- A US marketing and disposition LLC as lead counsel respecting its purchase and eventual sale of a substantial manufacturing facility and lands in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Prior to joining Cassels, Sherri was the Managing Director of a private investment fund and earlier practised as a partner of a major national law firm where she was a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and Opinions Committee. Sherri was a lecturer at the University of Calgary Faculty of Law where she taught Advanced Land Transactions to upper year students.
- Institute of Corporate Directors, Director
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association