Tim Pinos is a partner in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group. He has been certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Civil Litigation.
In the course of his wide-ranging commercial litigation practice, Tim has built up substantial expertise in complex litigation and class action issues, including in the areas of copyright and intellectual property litigation. He is one of the driving forces within the firm for the effective use of technology in litigation and client service.
Tim led the successful defence of the first class action commenced in Ontario, and in doing so established two important precedents in interest law and costs. He continues to be active in the defence and prosecution of class and large-scale multi-party litigation.
He has a strong academic background, having been a law professor in Australia and Malaysia between 1982 and 1989 where he taught Civil Procedure, Trial Practice, Company Law, Competition Law and Law and Economics. He has authored a number of books and articles on civil litigation and the use of technology in the legal profession.
Tim taught Civil Procedure on a part-time basis at Osgoode Hall Law School for a number of years. He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
- Benchmark Litigation 2016 (Litigation Star: Competition; Commercial; International Arbitration; Professional Liability; Securities)
- The Legal 500 Canada (Dispute Resolution)
- Certified as a Specialist in Civil Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished™ rating
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013–2019 (Class Action Litigation)
- Chambers Global 2006-2012 (Dispute Resolution: Ontario)
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defence Counsel (Chair, Class Actions Committee)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events