Luke Woolford is a partner in the Business Law Group. His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions (including private equity portfolio acquisitions and strategic acquisitions), and general corporate and commercial law. He represents clients across a wide range of industries including manufacturing and industrial, retail, natural resources, medical devices and pharmaceuticals, information technology and media.
Luke has experience advising private companies on corporate governance issues and a range of commercial matters including terms of supply for goods and services, distribution agreements, outsourcing services agreements, consulting and employment agreements, shareholders’ and partnership agreements, and sponsorship, celebrity endorsement and naming rights agreements. He also advises foreign companies regarding Canadian legal matters in connection with the establishment of businesses in Canada.
Examples of Luke's work in these areas include representing:
- A publicly-traded renewable energy generator in its merger with publicly traded competitors ($39 million; $32 million), related pre- and post-closing corporate restructurings, and the negotiation of a definitive agreement for its sale to a strategic competitor ($200 million)
- A Canadian consumer packaged food products company’s sale to a US private equity firm ($120 million)
- A Canadian private equity firm’s acquisition of a US cosmetics manufacturer ($35 million)
- A US private equity firm in its acquisition of a Canadian medical transcription and document imaging services company ($13.5 million), and its acquisition of an industrial controls engineering company ($13 million)
- A leading waste management company with respect to a private equity investment, its acquisition of regional complementary service providers ($10 million and $10 million) and the company’s sale to a primary competitor ($95 million)
- A consumer packaged meat products manufacturer in its acquisition of a regional competitor and its joint venture with a supplier
- A US private equity firm in its acquisition of a leading national workplace safety products distributor ($24 million) and subsequent add-on transactions ($1 million and $5 million)
- A major US infrastructure construction term in its strategic acquisition of a Canadian engineering company ($10 million)
- A real estate management company with a portfolio of retirement residences in connection a sale of its primary assets under CCAA protection ($29 million)
- IMG Canada Limited in the acquisition of Toronto Fashion Week
- The seller of a minor league professional sports team ($5 million)
- A Canadian start-up tech company in its completion of Series-A investment and a subsequent Series-B investment round from a US private equity firm ($15 million)
- A leading Canadian cardboard products manufacturer in connection with an investment by the private equity arm of an international bank
Prior to attending law school, Luke worked as a case worker for a private non-profit corporation in Toronto that provided subsidized housing and support to clients with histories of homelessness and mental illness.
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Sports Lawyers Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles