Lance Williams is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency and Financial Services Groups. Lance has been involved in numerous significant insolvency files and commercial finance transactions in multiple jurisdictions.
Specializing in the area of commercial insolvency, Lance’s practice includes advising and representing trustees, debtors, directors and creditors on insolvency and restructuring issues including debt restructuring, corporate reorganizations, loan workouts, fraudulent preference actions, foreclosures, bankruptcies, and receiverships. Lance is frequently involved in proceedings pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and has particular experience regarding restructurings involving: technology and intellectual property, mining, forestry, cannabis, oil and gas, retail operations, real estate and agriculture. Lance has acted on numerous cross-border and multi-jurisdictional restructurings.
Lance often advises borrowers and lenders on commercial finance transactions, including acting for major financial institutions, mezzanine lenders and distressed lenders on ABL, real estate-back and syndicated loans.
As a member of the bars of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Yukon, Lance regularly advises clients on multi-jurisdictional matters and frequently appears in the courts of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Yukon.
- Co-counsel to Walter Canada Energy Holdings, Inc. in its restructuring under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Canadian counsel to the court-appointed liquidator in world-wide liquidation and asset tracing proceedings with proceedings in Australia, Hong Kong, London and the Cayman Islands
- Counsel to a national coffee retailer and roaster in its successful restructuring, reorganization and recapitalization
- Counsel to a prominent glass design manufacturer in its reorganization and integration into a prominent international manufacture
- Counsel to the Government of the Northwest Territories in relation to the restructuring of North American Tungsten Corporation Ltd., a major tungsten mining operation in the Northwest Territories and Yukon
- Counsel to the court-appointed Information Officer of a major gold mining group in a cross-border insolvency pursuant to Part IV of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act
- Counsel to a major US-based gold mining group in its cross-border insolvency pursuant to Part IV of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Counsel to the court-appointed Monitor of Yukon Zinc Corporation
- Counsel to the court-appointed Receiver of Maple Leaf Loading, a multi-jurisdictional trucking company
- Counsel for the petitioners, Douglas Channel, in the first Liquefied Natural Gas restructuring in British Columbia
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017 & 2019 (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Insolvency Litigation; Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Financial Restructuring)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2017 ("Lawyer to Watch")
- Lexpert Special Edition - Canadian Litigation Lawyers 2017
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law)
- Durward Thomas Prize in Civil Procedure, 2006
- Jason Lang Memorial Scholarship, 2002
- University of Alberta Entrance Scholarship, 2000
- Former Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia Faculty of Law
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Banking and Finance Law Review
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals
- Member, Insolvency Institute of Canada (IIC)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events