Jessica Zagar is an associate in our Litigation Group, practicing in the area of civil and commercial litigation. She was also a summer and articling student at the firm. In her litigation practice, she has been actively involved in cases involving intellectual property and copyright matters. Jessica has acted as counsel before various administrative tribunals and at various levels of Court representing a broad spectrum of clients ranging from Canadian copyright collectives, media outlets, large and small publicly-traded companies and private corporations in a variety of industries. Jessica’s strengths lie in her attention to detail and focus on achieving creative and practical solutions for her clients.
Some of Jessica’s notable experience includes:
- Represented copyright collectives in tariff proceedings before the Copyright Board of Canada
- Represented a significant ethnic specialty television service in a lawsuit involving the unauthorized use of its program content and broadcast signals
- Assisted with successfully obtaining a contempt order against a director of a defendant corporation that required the contemnor to make restitution to the plaintiffs in excess of one million dollars
While in law school, Jessica was the recipient of a number of awards for academic achievement, including a prize in debtor creditor law. Jessica has also volunteered with the Canadian Liver Foundation and Skate Canada.
- Ontario Bar Association (Entertainment, Media and Communications Section)
- American Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- L’Association Littéraire Artistique Internationale (ALAI Canada)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles