“A favourite lawyer ... Jake is aggressive and gets the job done.”
- Client Testimonial
Jason (Jake) Bullen is a partner in the Business Law Group and Chair of the Private Equity Group at Cassels Brock. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, public and private financings, corporate re-organizations and complex commercial agreements, and includes a significant cross-border component.
He advises both well-established and emerging Canadian, US and international companies on commercial agreements (such as distribution arrangements and vendor agreements); corporate transactions (such as M&A and financings); and strategic corporate advice (such as multi-jurisdictional structuring and corporate governance). Jake is well-regarded for his management of large deal teams, providing a seamless solution to clients when multi-faceted transactions require expertise from other disciplines, such as consumer product safety, tax, employment and litigation.
Jake’s clients include funds (private equity and hedge), family offices and innovative providers of goods and services in retail, consumer goods, food & beverage, manufacturing and distribution (including global manufacturers of integrated technology solutions and systems), financial services, telecommunications, technology, FinTech, AI, real estate, professional sports and cleantech. This broad industry experience makes him a valuable member of the firm’s Payments Industry, Private Equity, Information Technology, Sports and Renewable Energy & Clean Technology Groups.
Jake has significant experience working internally with clients: he was appointed as interim Associate General Counsel of Canadian Tire in 2009 and completed a secondment with Rogers Communications. Jake holds his Canadian Securities Course designation and worked in the equity and derivatives division of a national investment firm.
Jake has been recognized as a Rising Star (M&A) by IFLR 1000 (Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms) and as a leader in the field of Sports & Entertainment by Who's Who Legal: Canada.
Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
- Represented Mucci Farms, a Canadian leader in greenhouse produce, in connection with an investment by NOVACAP
- Represented a leading TSX-listed software company on the acquisition of a provider of digital financial services platforms to mobile operators in the Middle East, Africa and the Americas
- Represented an advanced manufacturing company (with operations in Shanghai) in connection with a strategic transaction
- Represented the owners of GGY, a leading provider of advanced actuarial software for the global life insurance industry, in a sale to Moody’s Corporation
- Represented a US private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of an advanced manufacturing company in the GTA
- Represented Armstrong World Industries in connection with the spin-off of Armstrong Flooring, Inc. (US$1.2 billion of revenue)
- Represented (as Canadian counsel) Transamerican Auto Parts in respect of its sale to Polaris Industries, Inc. (US$665 million)
- Represented (as Canadian counsel) a US tech company in connection with the acquisition of a Canadian network quality control company
- Acted for Hilco (UK) Ltd. in its purchase of $130 million of the Kraus Group's debt and security from three secured lenders
- Represented Mediaco AV Inc. in its acquisition by Frischkorn Audio-visual Corp., a portfolio company of Ironbridge Equity Partners
- Represented a leading retailer in its purchase of a number of global consumer brands
- Represented ComTech CNG in respect of a private equity investment
- Represented the founding shareholder of a leading Canadian food company with respect to a shareholder dispute and private equity investment
- Represented a leading food and beverage company in connection with the acquisition of a number of Quick Service Restaurant franchises across Canada
- Acted for Rockwood Holdings Inc. in the $300 million sale of AlphaGary’s Plastic Compounding Business to Mexichem S.A.B. de C.V.
- Acted as corporate counsel for Teranet Income Fund in connection with the $1.6 billion hostile takeover bid by Borealis Infrastructure Management Inc.
- Represented Commonwealth Legal in its acquisition by Ricoh Canada Inc.
- Represented Spark Solar in the divestiture of a 10MW solar PV project to an Ontario-based hydro electricity Local Distribution Company
- Acted as lead corporate lawyer for one of Canada’s premier private equity investors as a part of a group led by Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan to acquire Exal Group, the largest manufacturer of impact extruded aluminum containers in the world
- Acted for a Canadian private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of a major Toronto hotel
- Acted as lead counsel for Transmission Developers, a global renewable power developer, with respect to an investment by The Blackstone Group - estimated project cost of US$3.8 billion
- Acted for Turtle Island Recycling with respect to a private equity investment by Whitecastle Private Equity Partners Fund LP
- Represented a number of buyers and sellers of businesses in the technology industry, including providers of wireless technology and network security services
- Represented a leading manufacturer, retailer and distributor of automotive aftermarket products on its Canadian expansion (including acquisitions)
- Represented a number of US private equity groups with respect to Canadian acquisitions and investments
- Represented Eugene Melnyk on his acquisition of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club and the Corel Centre
- Represented Teranet Income Fund, a leading provider of business-to-government and business-to-business e-service solutions, with respect to various acquisitions and internal reorganizations
- Acted for The Heico Companies LLC on the purchase of the assets of the Ivaco Steel companies for approximately $375 million
- Represented Turtle Island Recycling, a leading recycling and waste management company in the Greater Toronto Area, with respect to a number of strategic acquisitions
- Represented the buyer of Amsterdam Brewing
- Represented a Canadian retailer with respect to its strategic acquisitions in the auto parts industry
- Represented the seller of Polo Ralph Lauren brands in Canada
- Advised Chapters Online with respect to acquisitions
- Represented a number of private equity groups and portfolio companies with respect to financing transactions, including representation of one of the principals in the Paradigm Group, a manufacturer and marketer of high-end loudspeakers and audio-video components, on a recapitalization financing involving a number of parties including ShoreView Industries Inc. and NewStar Financial Inc.
Commercial matters including Technology/FinTech
- Negotiated a major software license for a large Canadian municipality
- Negotiated a master agreement with a leading provider of material handling systems for a distribution centre
- Negotiated a mobile wallet software development agreement on behalf of a retail client
- Represented a leading US retailer with respect to its Canadian payments matters
- Represented Zuffa, LLC (parent of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)) with respect to corporate and commercial matters
- Negotiated distribution agreements for a leading providing of automation solutions and commercial/residential solutions
- Negotiated a cross-border development and supply agreement on behalf of a Canadian manufacturer with a global company with respect to production in China
- Negotiated a loyalty platform development agreement on behalf of a large Canadian company
- Represented a number of international companies with respect to entry into Canada, including structuring and commercial advice
- Represented Acxsys Corp., the parent company of Interac Inc., with respect to strategic initiatives
- Represented a service provider in respect of implementing the Ontario Non-Profit Housing Solar PV Program involving the sale and installation of rooftop solar PV generation facilities at non-profit housing sites across the Province
- Acted as counsel to VersaPay Corporation, one of Canada’s leading payment processors and #1 on Profit Magazine’s Hot 50 list
- Canadian counsel to Albany Bahamas, a luxury resort community in The Bahamas developed by Tavistock Group, Tiger Woods and Ernie Els
- Seconded to Rogers Communications Inc. and Rogers Wireless Inc., and advised on interconnection and telecommunications services, wireless content and general commercial matters
- Represented a number of IT companies in areas including Web 2.0, Web 3.0, online shopping, enterprise security and data analytics and management
- Acted as corporate counsel to the Ottawa Senators and the Canadian Tire Centre
- Negotiated the naming rights for a major sports facility in Southern Ontario on behalf of a TSX-listed Canadian corporation
- Acted as legal counsel in the 2015 Canadian Federal Election
- Member of Finance, Risk and Audit Committee, and Corporate Secretary: Special Olympics Canada
- Represented a Canadian retail chain with respect to corporate governance matters, including the transfer of shares and the obligations of directors
- Represented Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited in connection with the IPO of CT Real Estate Investment Trust
- Represented a leader in printing virtualization on a financing
- Represented Flipp, a leader in digital retail, in connection with a Series B financing round from Insight Venture Partners
- Represented hedge funds with respect to structuring matters
- Represented a number of tech companies with respect to financings via equity and convertible debt
- Represented various investment banks on private placements
- Represented Teranet Income Fund on its initial public offering
Jake is an active member of the M&A, Private Equity & Venture Capital and International Business Law Committees of the American Bar Association. Jake also frequently speaks to clients and the legal profession on topics including private equity, information technology, negotiations and M&A due diligence. He is a speaker at the annual "M&A Skills Boot Camp" and has been the chair of "Conducting Effective Corporate Due Diligence" since 2002 (both produced by Osgoode Hall Law School’s CPD).
In addition to his legal practice, Jake is a director of Special Olympics Canada. He is also the lead singer of the Right Honourable Jake and the High Court of Soul, a firm band that regularly participates in charitable events. Jake proudly sang "O Canada" in front of thousands of fans prior to a Toronto Raptors game.
Jake lives in Port Credit with his wife and three children where he enjoys family time, participating in and coaching sports (he is a certified Level 2 – Hockey Canada Coach), music and swimming.
“Client-centered, responsive, knowledgeable and consistently dependable.” – Client Testimonial
“A favourite lawyer... Jake is aggressive and gets the job done.” – Client Testimonial
“Absolutely tirelessly committed to this engagement with a firm grip on the issues, both known and unknown, as well as the points important to the ... partners, and unconditionally resolute in a demanding and sometimes challenging expedition to a successful close.” – Client Testimonial
“Smart and well-versed … a sounding board to discuss ideas with [and] a team player. He brings in other lawyers from the firm if they can add value [and as] a supporter of our business, always introduces us to people if he feels we can add value to them. This is a rare thing … Jake is the next generation of lawyers.” – Client Testimonial
- Chambers Canada (Recognized Practitioner - Private Equity: Buyouts)
- IFLR1000 (Rising Star: M&A, Capital Markets)
- Who's Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment (Sports)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Sports & Entertainment)
- Completed "Business Essentials for Lawyers" Program (University of Toronto)
- Completed "Certificate in Negotiating and Drafting IT Agreements" (Osgoode Hall)
- Yellow Belt – Legal Lean Sigma™ and Project Management
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Canada’s Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Sports Lawyers Association
- M&A, Private Equity & Venture Capital and International Business Law Committees of the American Bar Association
- Business Law Advisory Working Group of the Law Society of Ontario
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, Board of Directors of Special Olympics Canada (Member of Finance, Risk and Audit Committee and Recruitment Task Force)
- Member, Board of Directors of Bahamas Youth Foundation - Canada
- Former Member, Organizing Committee of AIDSBeat
- Former Advisory Committee, Toronto Lords Basketball Association