Deborah Grieve is a partner in the Restructuring and Insolvency Group at Cassels Brock in Toronto, Canada. Practising exclusively in corporate restructuring and insolvency matters since 1986, she is one of few practitioners certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law for over 15 years.
Her corporate restructuring practice includes significant cross-border proceedings. Recent engagements include:
- Canadian Counsel for Chapter 11 Debtors in Digital Domain Media Group, Inc.
- Counsel for NewPage Port Hawkesbury Corp. in its CCAA restructuring
- Counsel for Wynnchurch Capital Inc. affiliate Heligear Canada Acquisition Corp. in its stalking horse purchase of Northstar Aerospace
- Counsel for first secured creditors in receivership of Blockbuster Canada Co.
Deborah has been involved for many years in international, federal and provincial law associations. She is currently:
- A member of the international Board of the International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), and recent past Chair of the Canadian Network
- An active member of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice Commercial List Users Committee, and is active on its subcommittees on access, model orders and the parallel e-filing project
She is former Chair of the executive committee of the Canadian Bar Association - Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section and of the Ontario Bar Association - Insolvency Law Section, and participates in Ontario Bar Association PPSL (Personal Property Security Legislation) committee.
At the request of the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy of Canada, Deborah has participated as an examiner on the panel that conducts the final oral examinations of prospective trustees in bankruptcy. She was also responsible for the Insolvency Law section of the Business Law component of Ontario's Bar Admission Course, including all lectures.
Since 2010 Deborah has participated in Working Group V (Insolvency Law) of UNCITRAL (the United Nations Commission of the International Trade Law), that studies cross-border insolvency issues.
She speaks frequently on a broad range of corporate restructuring, insolvency and personal property security issues.
C.S. (certified as a specialist in Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law) since 1996.
Select Publications and Presentations:
- "Debt Restructurings through CBCA Arrangements” – October 2012
- "Practical Considerations for Dealing with Financially Troubled Canadian Franchisees" - May 2012
- "Corporate Group COMI: 'Nerve Centre' Location A Key Factor" - November 2011
- "Cross-Border Security Interests: Choice of Law in Canada" - Fall 2011 - 44UCCLJ No.1
- Panellist on “Stop! Border Crossing Ahead: Navigating Cross-Border DIP Loans and Restructurings” - American Bar Association Annual Convention - August 2011
- Panellist regarding Choice of Law for Personal Property Security Interests in Canada, the United States, Germany and Brazil - American Bar Association Annual Convention - August 2011
- "Comparison of Canada and U.S. Restructuring Proceedings" - American Bar Association - June 2011
- "Cross-Border Debtor-In-Possession ("DIP") Financing Issues, Recent Developments and Trends" - American Bar Association - June 2011
- "Cross-Border Cases: Corporate Group COMI" - April 2011
- Profiled in IWIRC Connection as a recipient of The Fetner Award for Outstanding International IWIRC Contribution - March 2011
- Panellist on "Cross-Border Cooperation at Work" - 8th Annual Review of Insolvency Law Conference - February 2011
- “The New Canadian Cross-Border Insolvency Regime - Reflections on the First Year” - 2011 Annual Review of Insolvency Law 299
- "Nortel – Ontario Court of Appeal Affirms Non-Payment of Termination and Severance" - March 2010
- The Insolvent Licensor – New Canadian Laws Provide Some Protection For Licensees of Intellectual Property - October 2009
- Panellist on "The Changing Role of the Courts and Counsel in the Wake of the Financial Crisis" - Annual Canadian Bar Association Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Conference - October 2009
- Organizer and Chair - "How to Survive in Difficult Economic Times" - The Law Society of Upper Canada, Practice Gems Series - September 2009
- “New” Insolvency Law Amendments to be Proclaimed in Force…Almost Four Years Later - August 2009
- “Super-Priority Interim Financing - New Statutory Provisions for ‘DIP Financing’, Canadian Style"- The Law Society of Upper Canada and the Ontario Bar Association - 2008
- “PPSA Fundamentals for Credit Managers" - Lumbermans - 2008
- “Unsecured Creditor Strategies and Remedies," - Osgoode Professional Development - Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring - 2007
- “Attacking Fraudulent Conveyances and Preferences - Statutory Tools for Trustees and Creditors" - Ontario Bar Association - 2007
- "Insolvency and Restructuring Update: Insolvency Legislation Amendments Passed, But in Limbo" - 2006
- Organizer and chair of “The Six Minute Debtor-Creditor Lawyer" - The Law Society of Upper Canada - 2005
- Organizer and chair of “The Six Minute Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyer" - The Law Society of Upper Canada - 2005
- “Litigating Priority Disputes Under the PPSA" - Ontario Bar Association - 2005
- “Recent Changes to U.S. Bankruptcy Law May Limit Nuisance Claims Against Canadian Suppliers" - 2005
- “Enforcement of Security against Real and Personal Property" - Ontario Bar Association - 2004
- “Insight into Bankruptcy - Dealing with the Insolvent Canadian Customer" - 2004
- Organizer and chair of “The Six Minute Debtor-Creditor Lawyers Returns" - The Law Society of Upper Canada - 2003
- “Liability of Directors for Wage-Related Obligations" - 2002
- “Covering Your Client’s Assets: The Pitfalls of Creditor-Proofing in the ‘90s" - 2002
- “Defending the Petition for Receiving Order," Acting for Debtors in Bankruptcy - for the Ontario Bar Association - 2002
- “Recent Cases on Derivatives and Set-Off under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act" - 2001
- “Privacy and Consumer Confidentiality Issues in E-Commerce Insolvencies," for the American Bankruptcy Institute - 2000
- “Recent Cross Border Restructuring Cases – A Canadian Perspective" - 2000
- “An Introduction into Bankruptcy and Insolvency in Canada" - 1999
- Honoured by Turnaround Management Association – Toronto Chapter as “Trailblazer” for women in Restructuring Practice (2012)
- Martha Fetner Award - outstanding international contribution to IWIRC (2011)
- Chair of Canadian Network of IWIRC, that received Ryan Award (2011)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association - Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Canadian Bar Association - Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section; Former Chair (2004-2006)
- International Bar Association – Insolvency, Restructuring and Creditors' Rights section
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation; Chair, Canadian Network; International Board Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Insolvency Law Section; Former Chair (1999-2000)
- Turnaround Management Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles