Christopher W. McLelland is an associate in our Business Law Group. His practice focuses on general corporate and commercial law and transactions with particular expertise in the oil & gas industry.
He offers experience in domestic and cross-border asset and share transactions, commercial agreements, including upstream, midstream and downstream contracts in the oil and gas industry, project development and infrastructure.
Chris acts for both operators and contractors in the procurement of oilfield services and vendor management and advises in risk management.
Chris also advises on insurance claims pertaining to the oil and gas industry. Chris has advised in a joint legal/technical capacity on a variety of claims, including coverage, defence and subrogation, involving failed drilling operations.
Chris completed his Juris Doctor degree at the University of Alberta before articling with a regional law firm in Alberta. Before joining Cassels Brock as an associate, Chris served as legal counsel to an engineering firm and practised in the Calgary office of another national firm.
Selected Representative Work
- Acted for a Calgary-based oil and gas producer in its $118 million acquisition of oil and gas assets and obtaining Competition Act approval
- Acted for the secured creditor in the receivership of a Calgary-based oil and gas producer and successfully won a credit bid for the company’s assets
- Acted for a foreign conglomerate in its $602 million coalbed methane acquisition and joint venture
- Advised an insurance underwriter and prepared its response to a control of well insurance claim by an international oil and gas producer
- Advised in a dispute between a Calgary-based drilling contractor and a Calgary based oil and gas producer involving a blowout and loss of rig, whose rights and obligations were governed by the CAODC Master Daywork Contract