Arend Hoekstra, CPA, CA, is an associate in the Business Law Group and also a Chartered Professional Accountant.
Arend provides advice on:
- The duty to consult
- Treaty negotiations
- Project-related environmental and regulatory matters
- Mining projects
- Legislative drafting
- Litigation matters, including judicial review proceedings
- Use of Reserve lands including Section 53(1) easements, Section 28(2) tenures, and rights-of-way
- Drafting of Impact Benefit Agreements and Capacity Funding Agreements
- Financing and acquisition of mineral resource properties
His previous experience includes acting as a Senior Advisor for one of Canada's largest mines and acting as a controller for a large helicopter services company serving the mineral exploration and mining industry in the NWT. As a Chartered Professional Accountant, Arend worked with governments, including Indigenous governments and communities, across the NWT and Nunavut.
His publications include:
- Implementing UNDRIP in Canada: Challenges with Bill C-262, by Thomas Isaac and Arend Hoekstra, presented to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Indigenous and Northern Affairs
- Identity and Federalism: Understanding the Implications of Daniels v Canada, by Thomas Isaac and Arend Hoekstra, published in the Supreme Court Law Review
- Uncertainty in Dealing with Private Property Rights and Aboriginal Title, by Thomas Isaac and Arend Hoekstra, published in British Columbia Real Estate Law Developments
Arend earned his J.D. from the University of British Columbia and holds a Bachelor of Business Administration co-conferred by Okanagan College and the University of British Columbia-Okanagan.
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events