Alison Hayman is a partner in the Intellectual Property Group. She is also a Registered Trademark Agent.
Alison advises clients on the protection, enforcement and licensing of intellectual property, with a focus on trademarks. She manages the Canadian and international trademark portfolios of a wide of range of businesses, including retailers, universities, sports leagues and fashion brands. She regularly provides opinions on the availability of new trademarks and helps clients register marks around the world. She also advises on infringement matters and conducts trademark opposition proceedings before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office’s Opposition Board.
Alison also assists with the protection of copyright, confidential information and trade secrets. She frequently advises on ownership, assignment and confidentiality provisions in employment and independent contractor agreements. Her practice also includes advising on mergers & acquisitions, corporate re-organizations and other corporate transactions involving intellectual property, particularly in the technology sector.
Alison received her LL.B. at the University of Victoria and her LL.M. at the London School of Economics. She also holds an undergraduate degree in Economics from Mount Allison University.
Representative examples of Alison’s experience include:
- Managing the domestic and foreign trademark portfolio of one of Canada's largest retailers, advising daily on branding and filing strategy, licensing, disputes and new brand acquisitions
- Significant involvement in the sports and fashion industries, acting as trademark counsel to professional sports teams, several international fashion brands and Canadian designers
- Providing trademark clearance and enforcement in Canada for one of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers
- Defending a German industrial door manufacturer in Canadian trademark and copyright litigation and successfully staying the claim on the basis of an arbitration clause
- Providing strategic advice in connection with the acquisition and licensing of intellectual property in the mining sector
- Assisting with software licensing and technology acquisitions for a major consumer electronics company
- Providing brand strategy and brand clearance and registration services for businesses in the cannabis sector
- Advising advertisers on ambush marketing issues related to the Olympics and FIFA events
- Managing domain name disputes and acquisitions for clients in a wide range of sectors
- Registered Trademark Agent
- Managing Intellectual Property "IP Star" (2017 and 2018)
- Managing Intellectual Property "Top 250 Women in IP" (2017 and 2018)
- WTR 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals (2018 and 2019)
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks (2018 and 2019)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada – Trademark Practices Committee (2016-2017)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Chair of the IANA Transition and Accountability Subcommittee of the Internet Committee (2016-2017)
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Ontario Bar Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member of the Cassels Brock Pro Bono Committee