Senior Law Clerk - Corporate Services
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for an experienced Corporate Law Clerk in our Corporate Services Department. This role will report to the Manager - Corporate Services, Toronto
The ideal candidate will be a friendly professional who can assist a group of lawyers with the utmost attention to detail. This individual will be in charge of various corporate matters including drafting complex legal documents, conducting research and managing client relationships.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Corporate: Drafting substantive legal documentation relating to corporate transactions for Ontario and Federal corporations including, but not limited to, incorporations, amalgamations, continuances, dissolutions, revivals, and amendments.
- Tax: Drafting substantive legal documentation relating to corporate organizations, partnerships and limited partnerships, reorganizations relating to tax matters, including amalgamations, arrangements, wind-ups, share asset and transfer agreements, section 85 rollovers, estate planning reorganizations and share capital restructuring.
- Due diligence: Conducts due diligence reviews, summarizes and analyzes constating documents of corporations and effectively recommends changes thereto.
- Client Management: Communicating with clients as required and managing client relationships.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- 8+ years experience as a Corporate Law Clerk in a law firm setting.
- Possess a broad foundation of legal concepts, experience and applications relevant to the practice of Corporate Law.
- Experience with tax reorganizations required.
- Experience with not-for-profit corporations considered an asset.
- Law clerk certificate.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office. Previous experience with Corplink, Cyberbahn and Oncorp will be considered a strong asset.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload in a busy environment.
- Strong drafting and proofreading skills along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to review, analyze and make recommendations concerning file details.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills.
- Confident and dependable, with strong initiative and ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Our ideal candidate is proactive, creative and always exploring ways to improve efficiencies and meet the needs of clients, while maintaining professionalism at all times
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.