Senior Accounts Payable - Permanent
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Senior Accounts Payable Clerk in our Accounting Department, reporting to the Accounts Payable Supervisor. This role requires a candidate who has the experience, professional maturity, and analytical skills to oversee and support various processes related to Accounts Payable, including coding and entering vouchers and invoices; account reconciliations; tracking expenses; preparing journal entries and reports using Excel. Meeting deadlines in this role is crucial therefore, we are looking for somebody who is highly responsible and dependable.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Ensuring the adherence to Firm policies and business rules.
- Responding in a timely manner to internal and external client queries.
- Coding of invoices and posting into the firm’s financial management system.
- Preparing payments and understanding the chart of accounts and review expense code before passing on to junior AP for processing
- Maintaining proper records of accounts payable transactions and keeping files up to date.
- Reconciliations and analysis of various accounts.
- Review the aging report, identify and investigate on outstanding items.
- Preparing adjusting journal entries.
- Maintaining and reporting on ledgers for capital assets, pre-paids, donations, expense accruals, including the preparation of journal entries to maintain these ledgers.
- Understanding and applying rules for various Canadian taxes.
- Month-end balancing, year-end balancing, and closing activities.
- Work closely with other departments to promptly obtain invoice approvals and resolve outstanding AP issues.
- Supporting and participating in various financial system implementations and related projects.
- Recommending process improvements in order to gain efficiencies and to reduce errors.
- Completing miscellaneous A/P duties as assigned by Supervisor or Senior Management.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- Post secondary education in Accounting Program.
- 7+ years of Accounts Payable experience.
- Preference to candidates with professional service, Elite Enterprise, or 3E and Chrome River experience.
- Advanced skills in MS Excel with the ability to easily learn new software and applications.
- Strong worth ethic with superior attention to detail, strong communication skills (both verbal & written), and organized in how he/she works.
- Effectively manages priorities and successfully meets all deadlines.
- Able to prioritize and exceptional organizations skills, must have discretion and sense of urgency.
- Exhibits good professional judgment and can independently follow through to resolve issues that may arise.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please respond in confidence by sending your resume to:
Human Resources Recruiter
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.