Manager, Facilities & Business Services
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Manager of Facilities & Business Services in our Office Services Department, reporting to the Director of Office Services. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and knowledge of facilities management and business services procedures (including supply department, copy centre and communications centre), preferably within a professional services environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the facilities and business services departments; Mailroom Services, Copy Centre, Supplies and Procurement, including prioritizing tasks for the department, ensuring appropriate staffing levels and equitable distribution of workload.
- Develop and standardize processes for all operations and business services areas.
- Identify, evaluate and implement efficiencies and improvements to existing and new processes and procedures and ensure team members are trained.
- Participate in planning and forecasting of budgets and monitor actuals against budgets, raising any issues and cost reduction strategies with the Director of Office Services. Provide forecasts and updates as changes occur.
- Collaborate with peers and other Office Service team members in the Calgary and Vancouver offices to share best practices.
- Actively participate in projects as set out by the Director of Office Services.
- Ensure premises are maintained and in good repair at all times. Conduct regular inspections of the premises, oversee minor repairs and follow up with the premises team, building management and outside suppliers to correct deficiencies in a timely manner in accordance with safety and Firm standards.
- Monitor and manage any issues with building management, including but not limited to security, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing issues.
- Oversee all internal office moves, develop moving plans to ensure orderly execution and ensure resources are allocated (labour, materials) to complete the moves. Oversee any work performed by outsourced movers.
- Ensure inventory records of all furniture, equipment and assets, including purchase dates, price, service repairs and product specifications are current and accurate. Identify and provide recommendations for disposition, repair and purchase.
- Manage and ensure vendors adhere to service level agreements. Work with the Director of Office Services in recommending any vendor or service level changes.
Supplies and Procurement
- Ensure competitive pricing from suppliers and research new suppliers, where appropriate.
- Develop national supply standards for processes, policies and procurement.
- Oversee the inventory management of supplies to ensure efficient ordering processes and service levels are maintained.
Business Services (Copy, Mail, Courier)
- Oversee the management of Team Leads and resources, directing and scheduling essential central services such as mail, courier and copy.
- Recommend, develop and implement processes to standardize services and ensure service levels are consistently maintained.
- Identify and develop workflow efficiencies to ensure accurate and timely service.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key vendors (cleaning, maintenance, supplies, couriers, security staff) and contractors (general contractors, furniture vendors, AC & electrical contractors) to ensure high quality service.
- Negotiate terms of contract and oversee work performed by vendors to ensure they adhere to the terms and service level agreements.
- Liaise with Property Management on all building related matters and maintain good relations.
- Engage and consult external subject matter experts on project and non-standard work activity or services.
- Provide direction, coaching and development support of the teams to ensure they are engaged and capable of delivering on their accountabilities and meeting established service standards.
- Actively participate in recruitment, training and performance evaluation of the teams and make recommendations for staffing, where appropriate.
Health and Safety
- Ensure premises and equipment meets the required health & safety requirements and ensure monthly inspection and audit of premises is conducted.
- Ensure individuals within the facilities team have appropriate ergonomic training to provide in-house assessments.
- Active member of the Firm’s Health and Safety Committee.
- Manage the life safety program, evaluate and develop safety procedures and policies.
- Oversee the annual building fire drill, train and inform the Emergency Response Team and recruit volunteer members if needed.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- Post-secondary education in Facilities Management or equivalent work experience to successfully complete the essential requirements of the role, preferably in a professional services environment.
- 5 to 10 years of related management experience, directing staff to ensure timely achievement of departmental and organizational goals, within prescribed policies, procedures and standard business practices.
- Certificate in Facilities Management an asset.
- Proven leadership skills to work and inspire teams and colleagues.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced skills in Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization, including third parties.
- Solid experience with establishing and monitoring budgets, expenditures and forecasting.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to provide and implement recommendations.
- Solid project management skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Certified in First Aid and Health and Safety.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Human Resources Recruiter
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Fax: (416) 604-3113
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respect and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.