Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Library Manager for our Library reporting to the firm’s Chief Operating Officer. The primary responsibility of this role it to oversee, direct and manage the Library, its services and the people within the group in a manner that aligns with the firm’s current needs and strategic direction.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Serve as a senior legal research librarian to the client-facing professionals of the firm in balance with the management duties detailed below.
- Oversee the day-to-day management and operations of the library.
- Monitor and adjust the library’s collection to ensure that we always have the appropriate materials and services as resources to the firm’s professionals.
- Be responsible for preparing and monitoring the library’s budget and working with the firm’s stakeholders and vendors to maximize value in this area.
- Research market options, negotiate with vendors and review contracts for materials and services that are required.
- Establish and evolve policies and procedures regarding library operations.
- Ensure that the library is adequately and appropriately staffed at all times, by recruiting, training and supervising librarians, and technical and administrative support professionals within the group.
- Ensure that the library offers appropriate services to users in a cost-effective manner.
- Assist in the provision of reference services and online media monitoring.
- Oversee technical services, such as cataloguing and classification of library materials.
- Perform strategic long-range planning for current and future library services, equipment needs, staffing, space requirements and library related technology needs.
- Be aware of trends and developments in law libraries and libraries generally. Stay abreast of technological advances and developments.
- Oversee and periodically participate in ensuring that internal library customers (students, associates and lawyers) are trained.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- Master’s degree in Library Science/Information Studies is required.
- Experience in a law firm or other professional services firm or government agency is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a similar role.
- Minimum 3 years experience managing or supervising others
- Excellent interpersonal communication, collaboration and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical skills combined with adaptability
- A dedicated hard worker who is interested in providing the best client support possible.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be a team player and work well with others.
- Ability to adapt to the changing priorities and service delivery strategies
Please respond, in confidence to:
Assistant Director, Human Resources
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Fax: (416) 604-3113
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respect and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.