Legal Assistant - Municipal & Land Use Planning
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant in our Municipal, Land Use Planning & Environmental Law Group providing a variety of routine legal, executive and administrative duties.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Preparing legal documents from written, oral and taped instructions and precedents in a municipal, land use planning and environmental law practice including tax assessment appeals and expropriations.
- Drafting usual correspondence to and communicating with clients on behalf of the instructing lawyer.
- Entering dockets and preparing accounts.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyer.
- Managing bring forward system and web based file management system and keeping lawyer apprised of matters in office.
- Providing support to other lawyers and staff as required and requested.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- College Diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 3 years previous legal assistant experience in municipal, land use planning and environmental law.
- Knowledge of the Building Code Act, 1992, the Planning Act, the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997 and municipal by-laws.
- Proficient in MS Office 2007.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Internet applications and digital dictation software.
- Strong executive, administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, be flexible and adapt to changing situations easily.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, meet deadlines and exhibit sound judgment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Above average attention to detail and technical skills.
- Exceptional communication skills.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Human Resources Recruiter
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes. No agencies, please.