Legal Assistant - Franchise Law
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant in our Business Law Group with a focus on franchising, licensing, distribution and intellectual property providing a variety of routine legal and administrative duties to one Partner and one Associate.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Preparing legal documents from written, oral and taped instructions and precedents.
- Drafting routine correspondence on behalf of lawyers.
- Entering dockets and preparing accounts.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyers.
- Assisting in management of lawyer’s practice, i.e., opening files, arranging meetings, scheduling hearing dates with government bodies and/or representatives, arranging travel and/or accommodations.
- Managing bring forward system and keeping lawyers apprised of matters in office.
- Coordinating and monitoring administrative functions to ensure completion of work accurately and within established time frames.
- Providing support to other lawyers and staff as required and requested.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- College Diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years experience.
- Experience in franchise law would be an asset.
- Proficient in MS Office 365.
- Advanced technical skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills as well as above average attention to detail.
- Ability to be flexible, adapt to change and to work under pressure.
- The candidate must have the ability to take action, be self directing, innovative and make sound, commons-sense decisions.
- Exceptional communication skills are essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.