Legal Assistant - Financial Services
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant in the Corporate and Regulatory Insurance Industry Group within our Financial Services Department.The successful candidate will provide a variety of routine legal and administrative duties to two Lawyers who practice in the area of corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on corporate and regulatory insurance matters.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Preparing legal documents from written, oral and taped instructions and precedents.
- Drafting routine correspondence on behalf of lawyer.
- Entering dockets and preparing accounts.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyer.
- Managing bring forward system and web based file management system and keeping lawyers apprised of matters.
- Assisting in management of lawyer’s practice, i.e., opening files, arranging meetings, scheduling hearing dates with government bodies and/or representatives, arranging travel and/or accommodations.
- Coordinating and monitoring administrative functions to ensure completion of work accurately and within established time frames.
- Providing support to other lawyers and staff as required and requested.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- College diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 10 years previous legal assistant experience in a similar environment.
- Proficient in MS Office 365 with advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, be flexible and adapt to changing situations easily.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, meet deadlines and exhibit sound judgment.
- Above average attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.