Legal Assistant - Commercial Litigation
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant in our Advocacy Department with an emphasis on commercial and securities-related litigation providing a variety of executive and legal duties to a Partner and an Associate including maintaining the day to day operations and organization of the Partner’s busy practice.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Preparing legal documents from written, oral and taped instructions and precedents.
- Drafting routine correspondence on behalf of lawyer.
- Entering dockets and preparing accounts.
- Transcription of dictations including statements of claim, statements of defence, factum, etc.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Preparing and revising intricate PowerPoint presentations.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyer.
- Assisting in the organization and management of lawyer’s practice, i.e., opening files, arranging meetings, scheduling hearing dates with government bodies and/or representatives, arranging travel and/or accommodations
- Managing the lawyer’s complex calendar and high volume of emails.
- Managing bring forward system and keeping lawyer apprised of matters in office.
- Assembly of affidavits, motion records, factums and books of authorities.
- Drafting of basic pleadings.
- Coordinating with process servers regarding service and filing of court materials.
- Coordinating with court offices regarding trial and motions bookings and related court material filings.
- Drafting cover/service letters and coordinating delivery of documents.
- Coordinating and monitoring administrative functions to ensure completion of work accurately and within established time frames.
- Provide support to other lawyers and staff as required and requested.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- College Diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 5 years previous experience as a litigation assistant. Experience in commercial and securities-related litigation is an asset.
- Established skills and experience in an executive assistant role preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office 365.
- Knowledge of Automated Civil Litigation (ACL).
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Internet applications and digital dictation software.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, be flexible and adapt to changing situations easily.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, meet deadlines and exhibit sound judgment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Exceptional communication skills.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.