Legal Assistant Replacement–Commercial Real Estate
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant to work in our Assistant Replacement group supporting the Commercial Real Estate Department. This ever-changing role provides interim coverage for Legal Assistants in all aspects of the department, to ensure continuous and consistent support to the business.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Preparing legal documents from written, oral or taped instructions and precedents.
- Drafting routine correspondence on behalf of lawyer.
- Entering dockets and preparing accounts.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyer.
- Completing closing reports.
- Assisting in management of lawyer’s practice, i.e., opening files, filing, arranging meetings, scheduling hearing dates with government bodies and/or representatives, arranging travel and/or accommodations.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- College Diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a legal assistant replacement/floater position (or 3 to 5 years in an assigned legal assistant position), particularly in Commercial Real Estate.
- Proficient in MS Office 365 with advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Teraview and Conveyancer.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills as well as above average attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure, be flexible and adapt to changing situations easily.
- Ability to work well with all types of personalities and levels of responsibility.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, meet deadlines and exhibit sound judgment.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.