Junior Law Clerk - Trademark
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Junior Law Clerk - Trademark in our Business Law Group, reporting to the Director of Paralegals and Law Clerks.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:|
Canadian Trademark Clerk Duties:
- Reviewing all incoming correspondence from the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (“CIPO”); Updating and maintaining dockets related to deadlines.
- Preparation of letters reporting various stages involved in the trademark prosecution process; preparing and filing title documents and change of address information with CIPO.
- Reminding clients of upcoming due dates; requesting extensions of time.
- Reporting advertisement of applications.
- Reporting issuance of certificates of registration.
- Administering reminders for renewal of registrations.
- Renewing registrations; and reporting issuance of renewal certificate.
- Reporting notice of abandonment to clients.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- Law Clerk Diploma/Certificate or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and statutes.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in trademarks.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of legal software and standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PATTSY).
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management skills and prioritization skills.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of lawyers and legal professionals.
- Maturity, consistency of approach and ability to relate to all levels of lawyers and legal professionals.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes. No agencies, please.