HR Supervisor, Legal Assistants (VAN & CAL)
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Vancouver office is currently recruiting an HR Supervisor, Legal Assistants for our western offices, reporting to the HR Manager, Legal Assistants based in Toronto. The ideal individual will be an approachable, experienced, self-directed professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment and excels at building relationships.
This position will focus on the supervision of all day-to-day operations related to the Legal Assistant resource group (which includes Legal Assistants and Assistant Replacements) in our Vancouver and Calgary offices as well as acting as a local point of contact for general HR support. Occasional travel to our Calgary office is required.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Ongoing development of relationships and understanding of business and practice specific needs, through engagement with Legal Assistant resources, Lawyers and Practice Group leaders.
- Ongoing evaluation of Legal Assistant resource support arrangements; making recommendations for improvements; implementing approved changes.
- Evaluating and drafting both planned and ad hoc sharing arrangement recommendations for approval by HR Manager, Legal Assistants.
- Acting as primary point of contact and coaching support for Legal Assistant resources regarding day-to-day performance, employee relations issues, sharing arrangements and various other support needs.
- Managing communication of Legal Assistant resource absences, as reported on HR Absence Reporting Line (including coverage assignments, if required) to lawyers and HR Coordinator, on a daily basis.
- Managing the overall allocation and delivery of Assistant Replacement resources which may require availability on evenings and weekends to address urgent needs.
- Preparing and distributing weekly schedules for coverage arrangements.
- Preparing and managing vacation schedules for the Legal Assistant resource group.
- Participating in performance review cycle for Legal Assistant resources and working with HR Manager, Legal Assistants to conduct performance review meetings.
- Providing feedback to HR Manager, Legal Assistants for annual compensation and bonus recommendations.
- Supporting HR Manager, Legal Assistants on recruitment needs.
- Carrying out administration of Legal Assistant mentoring program.
- Acting as local point of contact for initial HR interactions.
- Supporting general HR needs and participating in various national initiatives, as required.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a leadership or supervisory role within HR.
- Law firm experience required.
- Prior experience in a legal assistant role is an asset.
- Ability to build and encourage trust, collaboration, inclusive communication, joint problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated ability be self-directed.
- Strong communication, relationship building and conflict resolution capabilities.
- Demonstrated good judgement and decision-making.
- Proven ability to partner with a variety of stakeholders at all levels of the organization, building credibility as a role model and subject matter expert.
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, team-based environment within challenging deadlines.
- Able to motivate people and foster a positive work environment.
- Flexible attitude and desire to support change.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, document management and time entry billing systems.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.