Commercial Litigation Law Clerk
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We serve multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a junior law clerk for the Advocacy group. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional customer service skills, excellent communication skills and a strong work ethic.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Performing a variety of routine legal and administrative duties in the area of commercial litigation law under the supervision of a litigation lawyer.
- Organizing files and documents.
- Attending on clients to take instruction, obtain information and report on status.
- Drafting routine originating applications and pleadings.
- Reviewing and summarizing transcripts of examinations and isolate undertakings and refusals.
- Summarizing discovery evidence.
- Assembling answers to undertakings.
- Preparing charts, chronologies and summaries of documentary evidence for use on discovery and trial.
- Compiling books of authorities and other briefs.
- Preparing bills of cost.
- Enforcing judgments.
- Drafting routine documents such as default judgments or orders.
- Compiling statistics and information or performs research tasks.
The successful candidate must have the following demonstrated skills:
- 2-3 years experience as a commercial litigation law clerk.
- Experience with document management and e-discovery.
- Knowledge of Eclipse.
- Proficient computer skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Conversant with the Rules of Civil Procedure and a solid knowledge of all court procedures and documents.
- Highly organized and have great pride in the final work product.
- Strong initiative and able to work with minimal supervision as well as work as part of a team.
- College Diploma or related work experience.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Human Resources Recruiter
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes. No agencies, please.