Collections Supervisor (AR)
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for a Supervisor, Collections (AR) in our Accounting Department, reporting to the Director, Credit, Billings and Collections. The ideal candidate has experience in a similar role with strength in collections strategies and managing a team of two AR Specialists.
- Working with the Director, CFO and Practice Group Leaders, responsible for ensuring the following:
- The Firm’s investment in accounts receivable is within established parameters as set out from time to time.
- The Firm’s collections’ policies are followed consistently, including escalating challenging situations to the Director, CFO and General Counsel as required.
- Tracking and reporting on collections performance of billing lawyers and the AR Specialists.
- Monitoring escalated actions, as needed (eg small claims actions, creditor claims, security positions).
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Supervising the AR Specialists in their day-to-day work and participating in the preparation of their annual performance reviews.
- Monitoring the workload of AR Specialists and rebalancing responsibilities from time to time.
- Training AR Specialists in related topics, such as collection policies, procedures and special billing arrangements.
- Participating in monthly meetings with the Director and CFO regarding status of overdue accounts; providing recommendations for escalated actions and the Firm’s overall collections’ performance.
- Preparing for review the provision for bad debts at month end and year end.
- Preparing quarterly analysis of the AR write-offs results and preparing an analysis for the Firm’s auditors.
- Completing collections work for certain partners whose identity has been vetted with the Director (eg initiating contact with clients regarding outstanding receivables; handling client inquiries and resolving discrepancies). Maintain accurate records of all communications in the collections system.
- Coordinating responses to clients and partner inquiries regarding collections and application of retainer trust funds.
- Coordinating the approval, implementation and monitoring of special payment arrangements.
- Assisting the Director in preparing billing & collection information for the annual budget.
- Identifying, recommending and implementing collections process improvements.
- Performing other duties as assigned including ad hoc analysis and reports preparation, special projects, designing/testing/implementing system upgrades and new tools.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- 7-10 years of experience in a similar role with strength in collections strategies and tactics.
- Business diploma in relevant discipline.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and intermediate Excel required.
- Experience with accounting software and related tools an asset (eg Elite 3E, Dunn & Bradstreet).
- Professional services experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with members of the Firm and the Firm’s clients.
- Capacity to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to produce a high quality and quantity of work product.
- Ability to work under tight timelines, prioritize and redefine priorities when necessary.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, planning and analytical skills.
- Ability to work and evolve the business with limited oversight.
- Experience in managing client relationships.
- Ability to identify process gaps, recommend solutions, implement corrective actions in collaboration with internal partners.
- Lead change management and culture change within the Receivables management team
- Project management experience an asset
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.