Accounts Receivable Clerk
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. We have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from our offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Our Toronto office is currently recruiting for an Accounts Receivable Clerk in our Accounting Department, reporting to the Manager, Accounting Analysis and Reporting. This role requires a candidate who has experience managing all aspects of the Accounts Receivables function. The ideal individual will be team-oriented and able to work well with people at all levels of responsibility within the Firm.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Building relationships with lawyers and assistants to develop insight and knowledge of lawyers’ practices and A/R cycles.
- Providing exemplary customer service to internal and external clients with every interaction and inquiry, including questions related to outstanding invoices or cash receipts, by email or by telephone.
- Managing and application of daily cash received by the firm (Cheques, Direct Deposit or Credit Cards).
- Posting of the cash received and write-offs on a daily basis into the accounting system, reconciling them against outstanding A/R (Elite Enterprise).
- Preparing daily bank deposits and filing their copies in the firm’s document management system.
- Managing overpayments by preparing daily transfers to clients’ trust accounts.
- Clearing up any exceptions received through daily direct pay upload system.
- Securing post-dated cheques (vault) and diarizing them for deposit on a future date(s).
- Working with the bank contact(s) to resolve any client payment issues (NSF, Stop Payment, Etc.).
- Conducting weekly analysis of bank deposits and cash applications to clear any deposit discrepancies.
- Investigating and clearing all outstanding credits on the bank reconciliations.
- Preparing and sending out reminder statements to clients on a regular basis (i.e. statement of accounts).
- Notifying collectors, lawyers and assistants regarding payment discrepancies (over payment/duplicate).
- Clearing unapplied payments on at least a weekly basis.
- Attending to daily banking, including managing transfers of funds between accounts.
- Back for trust officers as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Credit, Billings and Collections Manager.
The successful candidate must have the following education, experience and/or demonstrated skills:
- Post secondary education in Accounting, Business, or Finance program.
- 1 to 3 years of Accounts Receivable experience, in a law firm or similar professional services environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, particularly Excel.
- Good working knowledge of Elite software is an asset but is not mandatory.
- Strong client service skills to build and maintain client relationships.
- Team player with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, high volume business.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong organizational skills and above-average attention to detail.
Please respond, in confidence to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted if your skills and experience are a possible match for this position.
Our Firm’s success is built on the unique skills, perspectives, experiences and values of each individual. We encourage a corporate culture that respects and celebrates the dignity, value and diversity of all.
The Firm is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and has created policies and procedures to meet the requirements under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, unless required for accommodation purposes.