Securities law transactions, whether public offerings, private placements, takeover bids or restructuring by way of a plan of arrangement, are complex and fast-paced. You can't wait for your law firm to assemble additional expertise; they must have it ready when you are.
Our Securities Group offers comprehensive legal services in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and securities regulatory matters. Widely recognized for our experience and innovation in all areas of corporate securities law, we have one of the largest, most diverse and sophisticated securities law groups in Canada. The breadth and depth of our practice allows us to be on the cutting edge of new developments and important trends. In addition, we work with our colleagues in Registration and Compliance, Business Law and Tax & Trusts to provide seamless legal advice.
Cassels Brock is listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a most frequently recommended firm for sector-specific securities transactions. Our clients include dealers and advisors, underwriting syndicates, targets, offerors, boards of directors, special committees and lenders. We have experience across all industries, including mining, banking and finance, technology, manufacturing, insurance and transportation. We use our expertise and innovation to offer timely and cost-effective solutions to our clients.
Our securities law experts are ready to assist you with:
- Public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities
- Income trusts
- Amalgamations, mergers, arrangements, acquisitions and reorganizations, including "going private" transactions
- Pre-public financings, including angel and venture capital investments
- POP system, MJDS, cross-border and shelf offerings
- Takeover bids and issuer bids
- Stock exchange listings
- Related party transactions and Multilateral Instrument 61-101 compliance
- Investment dealer and advisor registrations
- Regulatory agency hearings before bodies such as the OSC and the TSX
- Ongoing compliance with securities law and continuous disclosure requirements
Our lawyers have provided securities law advice on many prominent, unique or specialized transactions, including recently:
- Acting for a mining company in completing a bought deal offering of over 23 million common shares for gross proceeds of $213 million
- Acting for a leading Canadian manufacturer of high quality branded and private label food products in completing its $127 million initial public offering
- Acting for the underwriters in a private placement of $32.5 million subordinated convertible debentures for Canada's largest publicly traded construction company
- Acting for the agents in a $220 million offering of debentures
- Acting for the underwriters for a producer and marketer of wines and related products which completed a public offering for gross proceeds of $172 million
- Acting for a telecommunications company in its conversion to an income trust and subsequent initial public offering of units
- Acting for a large life and health insurance company in its $200 million-plus takeover of a mutual fund company
- Acting for a mining company in acquiring a 100% interest in a Brazilian gold mine for approximately US$105 million