Our intellectual property lawyers come from a variety of practice areas within the firm who together serve a broad spectrum of clients in the information, communications and entertainment industries.
We advise clients on several areas within intellectual property law, including trademarks, sound marks, patents, copyright and entertainment.
- Preparation of trademark and sound mark applications
- Prosecuting applications to registration
- Trademark and sound mark litigation
- Trademark and sound mark searches nationally and internationally
Our leading edge, in-house computerized trademark search facilities permit us to identify, without delay, whether a proposed trademark already exists in both Canada and the United States.
We can conduct manual searches in Canada (three to four days or expedited to 48 hours), trademark availability searches in the US, preparation and filing of trademark applications in the US, searches and file applications in virtually any country outside of North America through agents, licensing of trademarks and other intellectual property, and action on behalf of franchisors and franchisees.
Patents & Industrial Designs
- Patent and industrial design searches in the US & Canada
- Advice on the prospect of obtaining a patent of an invention
- Possible infringement of patents and industrial designs
- Patent and industrial design rights
- Preparation of documentation relating to commercial transactions involving patents and industrial designs
- Litigation to enforce patent and industrial design rights
- Advice on the Canadian Copyright Act and international copyright convention
- Infringement litigation for individual copyright holders and collectives
- Draft and review licence arrangements
- Registering and protection of copyrights for merchandisers
- Negotiation of recording agreements, publishing agreements and artist management contracts
- Advice on regulatory applications
- Advice on production and acquisition of programming the purchase and sale of stations
- Personnel concerns
- Libel suits
- Finance structuring assistance
- Preparation and review of the necessary production and distribution contracts
- Advice on the legal risks inherent in innovative marketing campaigns
- Structuring and administration of promotional contests for legislative compliance