Our intellectual property lawyers come from a variety of practice areas within the firm who together serve a broad spectrum of clients in the information, communications and entertainment industries.
We advise clients on several areas within intellectual property law, including trade-marks, sound marks, patents, copyright and entertainment.
- Preparation of trade-mark and sound mark applications
- Prosecuting applications to registration
- Trade-mark and sound mark litigation
- Trade-mark and sound mark searches nationally and internationally
Our leading edge, in-house computerized trade-mark search facilities permit us to identify, without delay, whether a proposed trade-mark already exists in both Canada and the United States.
We can conduct manual searches in Canada (three to four days or expedited to 48 hours), trade-mark availability searches in the U.S., preparation and filing of trade-mark applications in the U.S., searches and file applications in virtually any country outside of North America through agents, licensing of trade-marks and other intellectual property, and action on behalf of franchisors and franchisees.
Patents & Industrial Designs
- Patent and industrial design searches in the U.S. & Canada
- Advice on the prospect of obtaining a patent of an invention
- Possible infringement of patents and industrial designs
- Patent and industrial design rights
- Preparation of documentation relating to commercial transactions involving patents and industrial designs
- Litigation to enforce patent and industrial design rights
- Advice on the Canadian Copyright Act and international copyright convention
- Infringement litigation for individual copyright holders and collectives
- Draft and review licence arrangements
- Registering and protection of copyrights for merchandisers
- Negotiation of recording agreements, publishing agreements and artist management contracts
- Advice on regulatory applications
- Advice on production and acquisition of programming the purchase and sale of stations
- Personnel concerns
- Libel suits
- Finance structuring assistance
- Preparation and review of the necessary production and distribution contracts
- Advice on the legal risks inherent in innovative marketing campaigns
- Structuring and administration of promotional contests for legislative compliance