Todd Robinson is a solutions strategist with a practical business approach to both litigation and the law. As a partner practising in the Construction Law Group, Todd focuses on construction and tendering advice and litigation (including construction liens, breach of trust claims, deficiency claims and delay claims), but also maintains a broad commercial litigation practice for both construction and commercial clients.
During his practice, Todd has partnered with a wide variety of clients, including a diversity of businesses in the construction industry (such as owners, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, pre-construction managers and project managers) as well as security guard services, banks, leasing and financing companies, municipalities, public institutions and individuals. Prior to focusing on construction, Todd had a varied commercial litigation practice that included construction litigation, real estate litigation (including mortgage enforcement and lease disputes), personal property disputes (including leasing and lien priority disputes) and creditor-debtor disputes. Todd also has experience in professional negligence matters, municipal construction defence, occupiers’ liability, environmental contamination, and various other types of negligence claims.
Todd has broad courtroom experience, having successfully argued matters in the Ontario Court of Appeal and in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in courtrooms throughout Ontario, including Toronto, Brampton, Barrie, Milton, Peterborough and Owen Sound.
Representative examples of Todd’s experience include:
- 2287376 Ontario Inc. c.o.b. as Royal-Thom Construction v. PCL Constructors Canada Inc. et al., 2016 ONSC 4431, add'l reasons 2016 ONSC 8182 [unreported]
- Successfully arguing for and obtaining security for costs in the amount of $250,000 against the lien claimant on behalf of the third party in a lien action. The motion was brought after a first round of examinations for discovery, and in advance of continued examinations and a scheduled 6-week trial
- Todd Brothers Contracting Ltd. v. Algonquin Highlands (Township), 2015 ONSC 1501, aff’d 2015 ONCA 737, leave to appeal ref’d  S.C.C.A. No. 36788
- Successfully arguing for dismissal of action on motion for summary judgment, successfully opposing subsequent appeal, and successfully opposing leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada
- Norseman Construction & Development Ltd. v. Evdemon,  O.J. No. 6230 (Master)
- Successfully opposing security for costs motion in construction lien matter at threshold defendant onus
- Faris. v. Eftimovski, 2012 ONSC 1126, aff’d 2013 ONCA 360
- Successfully arguing for dismissal of action at status hearing and successfully opposing subsequent appeal of dismissal
- Wolkovicz v. Avignon, 2011 ONSC 5899
- Successfully opposing motion to add party after presumptive expiry of limitation period
- Thirukumar v. Aravinthan and Gunarajan, 2011 ONSC 6168
- Co-counsel in successful defence of guarantee action (4-day trial)
- Jagosky v. Huntsville, 2010 ONSC 4590 aff'd 2011 ONCA 324
- Co-counsel in successful summary judgment motion dismissing action and subsequent appeal
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Todd attended law school at Dalhousie University. During law school, Todd tutored first year students in both property law and tort law through the Indigenous Blacks & Mi'kmaq (IB&M) Initiative, which actively supports access to legal education and the legal profession for Mi’kmaq and African students.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016-2018 (Construction Law)
- Construction & Infrastructure Law Section Executive, Ontario Bar Association, Vice-Chair (former Secretary)
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Forum on Construction Law)
- Law Society of Upper Canada
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Strong supporter of charities focused on providing support and guidance to kids, teens and young adults, participating annually in fundraising for Kids Help Phone
- Member/volunteer with ACCEPTional Foundation, a charitable organization working to create employment opportunities and training for those with developmental disabilities