Ted is a go-to partner for complicated disputes ranging from corporate-commercial to municipal and elections law and has been lauded by clients, judges and the media alike. Just a few of his major successes include:
- In 2016, Ted successfully defended, at Trial and on Appeal, a $25 million claim made against Toyota Canada.
- In 2015, Ted successfully defended, at Trial and on Appeal, a $7.5 million claim made by mobile sign companies arising from the enactment and enforcement of the City of Mississauga’s Sign By-Law.
- In 2012, Ted represented 7 Members of Parliament in a series of Federal Court applications collectively referred to as the “robocalls case” His rhetorical attacks on the evidentiary underpinnings of the applicants’ cases received national media attention. News site cbc.ca wrote “lawyer tears apart polling data”, while the Canadian Press reported “a key piece of evidence in the robocalls legal saga is deeply flawed and should be tossed out…” The Federal Court ultimately dismissed all 7 applications.
- As part of a burgeoning arbitration practice, Ted has succeeded on arbitrations with respect to franchise, mining, and shareholder oppressions disputes.
- Ted has a sport law practice which includes acting for professional and amateur athletes, sport merchandisers and non-profit sports associations including the Special Olympics.
- Ted acted as lead counsel for the Town of Georgina in a precedent-setting case in which the Plaintiff alleged that building inspectors have a duty to report occupational health and safety concerns. Following a successful 6-day trial, the Honourable Justice Mark Edwards wrote that Ted “conducted himself in a manner well beyond his years of experience. He obtained what can only be described as an excellent result on behalf of his client.”
- Ted acted as lead counsel for the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville on an action against the Chief Building Official. The Town was successful on all issues following an 8-day Superior Court trial and was awarded significant costs.
Ted has a calculated ability to immediately strike upon any legal issue's very core and, with cool, unyielding focus, resolve disputes quickly - before litigation costs spiral out of control. His decisive, strategic approach has earned him unfaltering success on behalf of corporate clients and public entities alike. As lead counsel in more than 30 successful mediations, he has also been an effective proponent of alternative dispute resolution.
- Benchmark Litigation 2016 (Future Star)
- Lexpert's Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2013)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Advocates' Society
- Toronto Lawyers' Association
- Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, Chair
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Pro Bono Coordinator, College of ECE Litigation Project
- Programming and Education Chair, Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society