Steven Kennedy is counsel in our Intellectual Property Group. He has experience in all areas of intellectual property including trademark, industrial design, copyright, and patent law. Steven’s practice focuses on trademark and copyright law, where he works with rights holders and brand owners to secure and enforce their intellectual property rights in Canada and abroad. He has appeared before the Federal and Ontario courts as well as administrative tribunals, including the Trademarks Opposition Board. He has been a member of leadership committees for the International Trademark Association since 2013, and currently serves as a member of the Non-Traditional Marks Committee.
Steven's experience includes:
- Prosecuting trademark and industrial design applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as a registered Trademark Agent
- Acted as co-counsel to the Siloxane D5 Board of Review
- Acting as counsel in trademark oppositions and cancellation proceedings before the Federal Court and Trademarks Opposition Board
- Providing opinions to clients on trademark availability and registrability as well as patentability and freedom to operate
- Assisting in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications
- Acting as litigation counsel in patent, trademark, regulatory, and commercial actions in the Ontario and Federal Courts
He graduated from the University of Ottawa Faculty of Common Law, cum laude, in 2008, where he served on the Executive of the Ottawa Law Review as Candidate Coordinator and Senior Editor. Steven holds a B.Sc. in Physics from McGill University. He was called to the bar in Ontario in 2009. An avid actor, Steven participated in the 2016 and 2017 Nightwood Theatre Lawyer Show and was an active member of the County of Carleton Law Association's Lawyer Play Committee and helped organize, and participated in, annual theatrical productions with members of the Ottawa bar for charity. He also has a number of publications in the Advocates' Quarterly, Canadian Intellectual Property Review, and Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada journals.
Steven joined Cassels Brock in 2012 from an intellectual property and commercial litigation practice at a large, national firm in Ottawa and is conversant in French.
Biographie en français
- Registered Trade-Mark Agent
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Advocate's Society
- INTA Young Practitioner's Committee
- INTA Non-traditional Marks Committee
- AIPLA Anti-Counterfeiting and Anti-Piracy Committee
- AIPLA Trademark Law Committee
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles