Robert (Bob) Cohen practises in the field of commercial and securities litigation and litigates cases in various areas of law, including oppression remedies and other shareholder disputes for public and private companies, securities regulation, partnership disputes, injunctions, defamation, banking disputes, employment law, real estate litigation, investor fraud, receiverships, contract disputes and professional malpractice. He acts for a broad spectrum of clients, ranging from individuals and entrepreneurs in small and large businesses as well as boards of public companies.
Bob has had a number of favourable arbitration, trial and Court of Appeal decisions, many of which have been reported in various legal reporting services. In addition to appearing before the Ontario Securities Commission as successful counsel (InterRent REIT), he has also appeared as successful counsel before the Ontario Divisional Court in a leading creditor oppression and director's liability case (T. Films v Cinemavault), as well as the Ontario Court of Appeal in seminal decisions on banking law (Valentine v. TD Bank) and contract and disclaimer interpretation (Solway v. Kennedy). Bob also appeared as successful counsel in the Supreme Court of Canada decision determining presumptions of law as they pertain to joint bank accounts in the context of estate disputes (Saylor and Madsen v. Brooks).
Bob has considerable negotiation skills which have led to efficient and large settlements for his clients, including dozens of large settlements in multi-million dollar investment fraud cases. He is well-versed and has acted as counsel in alternative dispute resolution methods, including mediation and arbitration.
He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, the Toronto Lawyers Association and the Advocates' Society. Since 2012, Bob has been Council for the Toronto region of the Ontario Bar Association.
Bob joined Cassels Brock in 1992 and has been a partner at the firm since 1999. He taught Civil Procedure at Osgoode Hall Law School for many years. Bob is recognized as a leading lawyer by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, the Best Lawyers in Canada and Benchmark Litigation.
- Benchmark Litigation 2016, 2017 (Litigation Star: Commercial; Securities)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent™ rating
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2014–2017 (Litigation - Corporate Commercial)
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2017 (Corporate Commercial Litigation)
- Lexpert Special Edition - Canadian Litigation Lawyers 2017
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada 2014, 2015, 2017 (Corporate Commercial Litigation)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014–2018 (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
- The Legal 500 Canada (Dispute Resolution)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- York Mills Rangers house league and select hockey coach
- Council for Ontario Bar Association (Toronto Region)