Raivo Uukkivi acts for a broad range of private and public sector clients. Raivo advises on decisions or actions that are impacted by municipal law or otherwise arise from the development, use and ownership of land. This includes all aspects of the land use planning and development process from the solicitors work involved in the commencement of an approvals process through to any litigation or controversy that arises from the process.
Raivo is also frequently involved in property and title disputes, environmental approvals and disputes, green energy project approvals and controversy, municipal by-law challenges, municipal conflicts of interest matters, elections disputes, municipal taxation, archaeological matters and freedom of information requests. He is regularly engaged in construction- and infrastructure-related litigation, specializing in matters involving municipalities
Raivo is a trial and hearing lawyer that frequently appears before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly the Ontario Municipal Board), and has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario including the Superior Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal. Recognizing that controversy is frequently resolved outside of the courts through mediation and arbitration, Raivo is a member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario, and has a certificate in Advanced Alternative Dispute Resolution. He is also a member of Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD) and the Urban Land Institute (ULI).
Raivo has been recognized by Lexpert as a lawyer to watch for his expertise in environmental law. He was called to the Bar in Ontario in 2004.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017 (Environmental Law)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada 2017 ("Lawyer to Watch")
- Best oral argument and second place overall in the Niagara Moot Competition (an oral advocacy competition involving competitors from Canada and the US)
- Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- The Advocates' Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Ontario Bar Association, Aboriginal Law Section Executive
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Director on the Board of the Estonian House in Toronto, a non-profit organization serving the needs of the Estonian Community
- Advisor to the Healthy Food Bank, an organization whose mandate is to deliver healthy, perishable foods to people in need throughout North America