“A go-to guy for companies in the mining industry.”
– Client Testimonial, Chambers Global
Paul Stein* is a securities lawyer practising in mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. He acts as lead counsel for a number of public clients that have been involved in mergers, acquisitions, takeover bids, going-private transactions, spin-off transactions, corporate reorganizations, corporate finance and corporate governance matters. In addition, he acts as counsel for several investment dealers on both corporate finance and securities regulation matters. Paul's practice also involves assisting mining clients in the negotiation of joint ventures, farm-in agreements and financing of exploration and development projects, both domestically and internationally.
Paul is listed as one of the world's leading mining practitioners by Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, Best Lawyers and the International Who's Who of Mining Lawyers. He is also recognized for his mergers and acquisitions work in Lexpert and Chambers Global.
Paul was previously seconded as a lawyer to the staff of the Ontario Securities Commission and has been a lecturer at various seminars and public conferences on corporate, securities and mining law matters. Paul is also an adjunct professor at the Western University Law School and taught its Mining Law course in the spring of 2013.
Paul is a member of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, an educational organization dedicated to the study of the legal system in issues affecting natural resources law, and is also a member of the securities section of the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada.
- “Very sophisticated in the M&A space.” – Chambers Canada (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- “Collaborative and easy to work with.” – Chambers Global (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- “He is very experienced, knowledgeable and very pragmatic.” – Chambers Canada (Mining)
- “A go-to guy for companies in the mining industry.” – Chambers Global (Mining)
- "A very creative lawyer who comes up with solutions that work for both sides. Very charismatic - a natural negotiator and leader." – Chambers Canada (Energy & Natural Resources: Mining)
- “Paul is widely viewed as a ‘high profile mining lawyer.’” – Chambers Canada (Corporate)
- “The ultimate professional – he’s been there, he’s done it all and I never feel that a client gets second best with him.” – Chambers Canada (Mining)
- "His reputation speaks for itself." – Chambers Global (Mining)
*denotes Professional Corporation
- The Legal 500 Canada (Capital Markets; Corporate and M&A; Energy - Mining)
- IFLR1000 (Corporate and M&A; Energy and Infrastructure)
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished™ rating
- Chambers Canada 2016–2018 (Corporate/Commercial; Energy & Natural Resources: Mining)
- Chambers Global 2008–2018 [Corporate/M&A, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Canada), Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms (Latin America-wide)]
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2006–2018 (Corporate Finance; Mining)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2008–2015 & 2017 (Corporate Finance; Mergers & Acquisitions; Mining)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2007–2018 (Corporate Finance & Securities; Corporate Mid-Market; Mergers & Acquisitions; Mining)
- Lexpert Special Edition - Global Leaders in Mining 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2006–2018 (Mining Law; Natural Resources Law) ("Lawyer of the Year" Mining Law, 2018)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada: Lawyer of the Year 2013 & 2017 (Mining Law – Toronto)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2010–2017 (Mining and Capital Mining)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (Securities Section)
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation