Nia Karabatsos is a lawyer in the Business Law Group at Cassels Brock. Her practice focuses on corporate and commercial law, with emphasis on negotiating and drafting commercial agreements, and negotiating and executing corporate re-organizations and restructurings, financing transactions and mergers and acquisitions involving both public and private companies in a broad range of industries. She advises clients on a variety of corporate and commercial matters, including shareholder and partnership agreements, management agreements, corporate governance matters, distribution and licensing agreements, loan and security documents, services agreements and consulting and employment agreements.
A few of Nia’s notable files and transactions include:
- General commercial drafting for a TSX-listed major Canadian retailer in connection with its vendor agreements, exclusivity arrangements, non-disclosure agreements, service agreements, license agreements, requests for proposal, etc.
- Represented a major Canadian real estate development company with respect to its initiatives in structuring and financing one of North America’s largest film production facilities, and its subsequent sale of its majority equity stake
- Acted as corporate counsel to an international real estate company with respect to its business operations as well as its recent business reorganization
- Represented a TSX-listed Canadian company with respect to its business of managing merchant transactions with consumers and facilitating payment and its strategic acquisitions in the industry
- Represented a TSX-listed major Canadian retailer with respect to its strategic acquisitions in the auto parts industry
- Represented a leading recycling and waste management company in the Province of Ontario with respect to its strategic acquisitions within the industry
- Acted as a member of a team of counsel in a variety of significant transactions, including:
- the merger of Pfizer Inc. with Wyeth;
- the acquisition by Goldcorp Inc. of various assets of Placer Dome from Barrick Gold, and the subsequent sale by Goldcorp Inc. of certain of those assets to Terrane Metals Corp.;
- the acquisition by Eugene Melnyk of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club and the Corel Centre in the CCAA restructuring of the Senators and the related arena receivership; and
- execution of major initiative in respect of the assignment of Air Canada’s aircraft leases.
Nia also presents seminars within the legal profession in the areas of general corporate law and due diligence. In recent years, she was also a member of the firm’s committee for its annual United Way campaign.
Before joining Cassels Brock as an associate, Nia was both a summer and articling student at the firm.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Hellenic Canadian Lawyers Association
- Ontario Bar Association