Monique Sassi is an associate practising in the Restructuring and Insolvency Group and the Financial Services Group. Her practice focuses primarily on international and domestic corporate restructurings with a particular emphasis on cross-border commercial restructurings. Monique has expertise in insolvency proceedings in the retail, oil & gas, and renewable energy sectors. In addition, Monique has advised on matters involving financial securitization, non-insolvency restructurings with tranche financings, initial public offerings and acquisitions. She also assists with teaching the Restructuring and Insolvency Course at the University of Windsor, Ontario.
Monique’s experience includes:
- Canadian counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Nortel Networks Inc. and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries in cross-border CCAA/Chapter 11 proceedings
- Canadian Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of BPS US Holdings
- Counsel to H.B. White Canada Corp. in connection with its CCAA proceeding and settlement of significant construction contract disputes
- Counsel to Bombay Furniture Company in connection with their cross-border CCAA and Chapter 11 cases, which resulted in the sale of the Bombay Canada business as a going concern
- Counsel to Xinergy Ltd. in connection with its CCAA recognition proceeding
- Representing the underwriters in Callidus Capital Corporation’s $252 million initial public offering
- Acting for Rogers Communications Inc. in connection with a $900 million accounts receivable securitization program
- Acting for Pacific Insight Electronics Corp. in its credit facilities with the Bank of Montreal and Roynat Inc.
Monique is a member of TMA, INSOL and the South African Restructuring Association (SARIPA).
While in law school, Monique completed a semester of law school at NYU Law School, where she completed specialized courses in US Banking Regulation and Commercial Sales. Prior to studying law in Canada, she obtained a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Law and Financial Accounting at the University of the Witswaterand in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- SARIPA (South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association)
- INSOL (Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals)
- TMA (Turnaround Management Association)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- ProBono.Org (Johannesburg, South Africa), summer volunteer