Michael Alvaro is an associate in the Business Law Group with a practice focusing on corporate and commercial law for both private and public companies. Michael’s experience includes acting on domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions, corporate finance transactions, infrastructure projects, corporate re-organizations and complex commercial agreements. Michael also has experience working with clients on the incorporation and organization of their companies, and in drafting share and asset purchase agreements, shareholder agreements, option agreements, distribution agreements, services agreements, endorsement agreements, technology license agreements, and a variety of other corporate and commercial documents. Michael advises clients in a diverse array of industries, including hospitality, infrastructure, sports, entertainment, technology, mining, consumer products, and manufacturing.
Michael’s significant representative work includes:
- Acting as Canadian counsel to French hotel chain, AccorHotels, in connection with its purchase of FRHI Holdings Ltd., owner of the luxury hotel lines Fairmont, Raffles, and Swissôtel, for approximately US$2.7 billion
- Acting as Canadian counsel to Kayne Anderson Real Estate Advisors in connection with its sale of a portfolio of assets to Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd., which formed part of a series of transactions totalling US$1.6 billion
- Acting as counsel to Apogee Enterprises, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of all of the assets of Sotawall Inc. for approximately $180 million
- Acting for Hotel 550 Wellington LP in connection with the sale of the Thompson Hotel Toronto
- Acting as counsel to Infrastructure Ontario in connection with the building of the Groves Memorial Community Hospital
- Acting as counsel to Infrastructure Ontario in connection with the Ontario Provincial Police Modernization Phase 2 Project
- Acting for the lead equity provider of a bidding group in connection with its bid in respect of the OLG Niagara Falls Entertainment Centre project
- Acting for a syndicate of underwriters co-led by RBC Capital Markets and Cormark Securities Inc. in connection with Teranga Gold Corporation’s $36.4 million bought deal offering
- Acting for a syndicate of underwriters co-led by Eight Capital and Canaccord Genuity Corp. in connection with Namaste Technologies Inc.’s $11.3 million bought deal private placement
- Acting as counsel to Aegion Corporation in connection with the sale of its 51% interest in Bayou Perma-Pipe Canada
- Acting as counsel to a global medical technology corporation in connection with its purchase of a medical distribution company
- Regularly providing pro bono legal advice to Special Olympics Canada in connection with various corporate and commercial matters
Prior to joining Cassels Brock as an associate, Michael was both a summer and articling student at the firm. Michael is a graduate of the Canadian and American Dual J.D. Program at the University of Windsor and University of Detroit Mercy. During law school, Michael partnered with students at the University of Toronto to create the Hockey Arbitration Competition of Canada, an event which he continues to be involved with both as Co-Chair of the Steering Committee and as a guest arbitrator.
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA)