"Brilliant & does an absolutely superb job."
- Client Testimonial, Chambers Global
Mark Rasile* is a partner in our Financial Services Group with broad experience in transactional debt finance matters. Mark regularly advises a wide range of domestic and foreign credit providers, including banks and alternative lenders, borrowers and sponsors in the structuring and negotiation of new money financings, refinancings, workouts and restructurings. He has particular expertise and experience with complex domestic and cross-border syndicated loan financings, first/second lien loan structures, acquisition and take-over bid financings, reserve-based oil and gas financings, debt financings in distressed circumstances, covenant patterns and terms in public and private bond offerings and other debt capital markets transactions.
Mark is an honorary member of the Canadian Bond Investors Association (CBIA), where he has worked closely with a number of leading Canadian institutional debt capital market investors in crafting the CBIA's model covenants paper and related commentaries.
- Counsel to Penn West Petroleum Ltd. in connection with its $550 million reserve-based syndicated credit facility
- Counsel to Parkland Fuel Corporation in connection with its $1.2 billion revolving credit facilities and $1.1 billion bridge facilities to finance the proposed acquisition of certain integrated downstream refining and marketing business assets of Chevron Canada Limited
- Counsel to Stantec Inc. in connection with its $1.25 billion credit facilities to finance, in part, the successful acquisition of MWH Global, Inc. for approximately US$793 million
- Counsel to the lead arrangers and lender syndicate in connection with the US$4.0 billion revolving credit facility for Barrick Gold Corporation
- Counsel to the lead arrangers and lender syndicate in connection with US$5.0 billion credit facilities to finance the successful acquisition of Equinox Minerals Limited by Barrick Gold Corporation
- Counsel to the lead arrangers and lender syndicate in connection with US$1.25 billion credit facility for Cameco Corp.
- Counsel to lead arranger and lender syndicate in connection with US$1.36 billion credit facilities to finance the successful acquisition of UAP Holding Corp. by Agrium Inc.
- Counsel to lead arranger and lending syndicate in connection with the $380 million first lien and $172 million second lien credit facilities for Nelson Education Ltd.
- Counsel to Canso Investment Counsel Ltd., the largest first lien debtholder, in connection with the $600 million recapitalization of Postmedia Network Inc. (PNI) pursuant to the Canada Business Corporations Act, including significant amendments to PNI's outstanding 8.25% senior secured notes and the paydown of approximately $78 million of the first lien notes
- Counsel to the principal investors in the refinancing of Tuckamore Capital Management Inc., through the issuance by Tuckamore to the investors, on a private placement basis, of 8.00% Senior Secured Debentures due 2026 in an aggregate principal amount of $176,228,000, as well as the issuance of 10.00% Second Lien Secured Convertible Debentures due 2026 in an aggregate principal amount of $35,000,000
- Counsel to the principal investors in the private placement by Postmedia Network of $140 million of subscription receipts, convertible into 8.25% senior notes, used to finance Postmedia's acquisition of certain of Sun Media's print assets
- Counsel to the MTN noteholders (largest creditor group - $1.4 billion) in connection with the $2.4 billion recapitalization of Yellow Media Inc. pursuant to the Canada Business Corporations Act
- Counsel to VimpelCom Ltd. in connection with the restructuring and disposition of its interests in WIND Mobile Canada to a consortium of buyers, including the approximately $2.0 billion of related party debt owed by WIND to VimpelCom and its affiliates
- Counsel to the principal investor and purchaser in connection with the private placement by Xplornet Communications Inc. of $123.0 million of 13.0% unsecured notes due 2021 and $25.0 million of preference shares
- “Very responsive and commercial. He readily provides candid feedback and is very approachable.” – Chambers Canada (Banking & Finance)
- “He is brilliant and he does an absolutely superb job." – Chambers Global (Banking & Finance)
- “A calming influence in a negotiating process and has a very good way of explaining technical legal jargon in lay terms."– Chambers Global (Banking & Finance)
- “Great listener and understands business objectives.” – Legal500 Canada (Banking & Finance)
- “Mark has the ability to explain technical concepts at a business level and to assist his clients in making quick and well-founded decisions.” – Chambers Canada (Banking & Finance)
- “Very skilled and knowledgeable banking lawyer.” – Chambers Global (Banking & Finance)
*denotes Professional Corporation
- Chambers Global (Banking & Finance)
- Chambers Canada (Banking & Finance)
- The Legal 500 Canada (Banking & Finance)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Banking)
- Who's Who Legal: Banking
- Canadian Bond Investors Association (CBIA) - Honorary Member