Lara Jackson has an active and varied commercial litigation practice with particular expertise in securities litigation and class actions. Lara brings a strategic, analytical and practical approach to the most complicated disputes, while maintaining her focus on achieving resolution as efficiently as possible, including through the use of alternative dispute resolution where appropriate.
Lara has significant expertise in transactional litigation arising from contested shareholders’ meetings, proxy fights, take-over bids and plans of arrangement. She regularly represents market participants in Canadian and cross-border civil and regulatory proceedings, involving alleged securities act violations. Lara has also acted in a wide range of corporate-commercial litigation matters involving contract disputes, directors’ and officers’ liability, oppression, shareholder disputes, and insolvency proceedings.
Lara’s experience includes:
- Representing issuers in proxy-fight related regulatory and litigation proceedings
- Representing bidders and targets in hostile takeover bid litigation
- Defending class actions, including securities class actions
- Representing market participants in cross-border criminal and regulatory proceedings involving financial disclosure violations
- Representing an issuer in a successful action ($16 million judgment) against an underwriter for breach of contract following a failed bought deal (Stetson Oil & Gas Ltd. v. Stifel Nicolaus Canada, 2013 ONSC 1300)
- Representing an issuer in an injunction proceeding alleging misuse of confidential information in a dissident proxy circular (Maudore Minerals v. The Harbour Foundation, 2012 ONSC 4255)
- Representing labour-sponsored venture funds in a contested plan of arrangement (Re New Generation Biotech (Equity) Fund Inc., 2010 ONSC 6949)
Lara is an involved member of the legal community as an elected member of Council for the Toronto region of the Ontario Bar Association, an Instructor with the Osgoode Hall Law School Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, and a committed mentor.
- Benchmark Litigation 2016 (Future Star)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015-2017 (Securities Litigation)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015–2017 (Securities Law – Litigation)
- The Advocates' Society
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Pro Bono Duty Counsel for Law Society of Upper Canada Disciplinary Hearings (operated by The Advocates’ Society)
- Women’s Leadership Council, United Way of Burlington & Greater Hamilton