Joe Bellissimo* is a partner with the Restructuring and Insolvency Group at Cassels Brock. His practice includes representing debtor companies, creditors, court-appointed monitors and receivers and purchasers of distressed assets in restructuring matters.
Joe has appeared before all levels of court in restructuring and insolvency matters, including the Supreme Court of Canada. Joe serves on the Board of Directors of the Turnaround Management Association–Toronto Chapter and on the executive of the Insolvency Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association. In addition, he has written and co-written various articles and papers in the field of restructuring and insolvency.
Some of Joe’s recent significant matters include:
- Acting for Connacher Oil and Gas Limited in connection with its CCAA proceedings
- Acting for the Ad Hoc Group of Senior Secured Bonds in connection with the CCAA proceedings of Great Western Minerals Group
- Acting for certain secured lenders in connection with the CCAA proceedings of the Canadian subsidiaries of Cliffs Natural Resources
- Acting for the secured lender in connection with Jaguar Mining’s recapitalization through CCAA proceedings
- Acting for Silver Wheaton in connection with the BIA/US Chapter 11 proceedings of Mercator Minerals Inc./Mineral Park Inc.
- Acting for BDO Canada, the court-appointed receiver of Peopledge HR Services Inc
- Acting for BDO Canada, the proposed trustee, in the BIA proposal proceedings of European Quality Meats
- Acting for Global Resource Fund, the primary existing secured creditor and DIP Lender to Tamerlane Ventures Inc. in connection with Tamerlane Ventures Inc.'s CCAA restructuring
- Acting for Hilco UK in connection with the receivership of Kraus Inc., Kraus Canada Inc. and Strudex Fibres Limited and the credit bid acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Kraus Inc., Kraus Canada Inc and Strudex Fibres Limited
- Acting for Wynnchurch Capital Inc. as the stalking horse purchaser in the CCAA restructuring by Northstar Aerospace Inc.
- Acting for Ernst & Young Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed receiver of St Marys Paper Corp., including in connection with the sale of substantially all of the assets of St. Marys Paper Corp.
- Acting for the group of first secured creditors in connection with the receivership of Blockbuster Canada Co.
- Acting for NewPage Port Hawkesbury Corp. in connection with its CCAA restructuring
- Acting for certain secured lenders in the CCAA/receivership proceedings of Cow Harbour Construction Co.
- Acting for Roynat Inc. in connection with the CCAA restructuring of Brainhunter Inc.
- Acting for the DIP lender and credit bid purchaser of an entertainment and gaming company
- Acting for the Federal Government of Canada, through Industry Canada, in connection with the restructurings of both General Motors and Chrysler
- Acting for Roynat Inc. in connection with the CCAA restructuring of Bruce R. Smith Limited
- Acting for significant groups of aircraft lessors/financiers in the restructurings or bankruptcies of Air Canada, Canada 3000 Airlines/Royal Aviation, Jetsgo Corporation and Zoom Airlines
Joe has also been involved in various other restructuring and insolvency engagements in the automotive, aviation, steel, mining, publishing, transportation, manufacturing, retail, sports and entertainment industries.
He is the author of numerous publications including:
- Securing and Enforcing ABL Receivables
- Special Considerations for Collateral Provided to Third Parties
- Repair and Storage Liens in Insolvency Proceedings
- Delayed for Takeoff: Airline Restructuring and Recovery Since Sept. 11, 2001
- Surviving Heavy Turbulence in the Post-9/11 Skies: A Progress Report on the Aviation Industry Turnaround Process
- Transferring a Financially Distressed Business: Using the Bulk Sales Act or Interim Receivers under the BIA
- Distressed Claims Trading in Canada
*denotes Professional Corporation
- IFLR1000 (Restructuring and Insolvency)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Canadian Bar Association
- INSOL International
- Ontario Bar Association (Member of the Executive, Insolvency Law Section)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles