Jonathan Sherman is an associate in the Business Law Group and co-chair of the Cassels Brock Cannabis Group. Jonathan is a member of the Securities Group, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and go-public transactions, joint ventures, alternative financing solutions and other corporate commercial transactions.
Jonathan represents clients in a wide variety of industries, and is actively involved in various emerging industries including cannabis, blockchain and cryptocurrency. He acts for public companies, private companies and investment dealers in domestic and cross-border transactions and advises issuers with respect to general corporate and securities law matters. Jonathan also has experience working with clients on the incorporation and organization of their companies, public offerings, private placements, internal reorganizations and a variety of other corporate and commercial matters.
As a lead member of the Cannabis Group, Jonathan assists a broad range of industry participants, including licensed producers in both Canada and the United States, pre-licensed applicants in Canada and abroad as well as a variety of ancillary businesses in the sector.
Jonathan’s significant representative work in the cannabis industry includes advising:
- Canopy Growth Corporation in its:
- international joint venture collaboration with Green House Holdings North America and National Concessions Group Inc.
- its joint venture to create BC Tweed Joint Venture Inc. and conversion of 3 million square feet of existing greenhouse in British Columbia
- its expansion into New Brunswick, including the acquisition of Spot Therapeutics Inc.
- Canopy Growth Corporation and Canopy Rivers Corporation in its joint venture to create Les Serres Vert Cannabis Inc. to develop a 700,000 square foot greenhouse growing facility in Quebec
- Canopy Growth Corporation, Canopy Rivers Corporation and funds managed by JW Asset Management, LLC on a strategic investment in TerrAscend Corp.
- Canopy Growth Corporation in the formation of Canopy Rivers Corporation
- Canopy Rivers Corporation in its:
- $36.2 million brokered private placement financing
- $26 million non-brokered private placement financing
- strategic investments in James E. Wagner Cultivation Ltd., Radicle Medical Marijuana Inc. and Agripharm Corp., among others
- NanoLeaf Technologies Inc. in its financing transactions and subsequent sale to MariCann Group Inc. for $40 million
Jonathan’s other significant representative work includes advising:
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc. in its $1 billion business combination with Newmarket Gold Inc.
- The Intertain Group Limited in connection with its UK strategic initiatives, including its plan of arrangement to effect a redomiciliation to the United Kingdom, list on the London Stock Exchange and the associated exchangeable share transaction structure
- Oando Energy Resources Inc. in its going-private transaction
- Goldcorp Inc. in its $526 million acquisition of Probe Mines Limited
- GMP Securities L.P. and a syndicate of agents in Superior Gold Inc.’s initial public offering (IPO)
- Lundin Mining Corporation in its $674 million bought-deal prospectus financing of subscription receipts
- Canaccord Genuity Corp. and a syndicate of underwriters in NYX Gaming Group Limited’s qualifying prospectus in connection with its $150 million bought-deal private placement financing
- GMP Securities L.P. and a syndicate of underwriters in Lundin Gold Inc.’s $95 million bought-deal public offering
- Anaconda Mining Inc. in its plan of arrangement with Orex Exploration Inc.
- True North Commercial Real Estate Investment Trust in its $29 million bought-deal public offering
- INV Metals Inc. in its $27.6 million bought-deal public offering
Jonathan is a regular contributor to the Canadian Cannabis and Life Sciences blog, having authored articles with respect to alternative financing options, exports under the current medical cannabis regime and other regulatory and licensing developments in both the medical and adult-use markets. He is also regularly called upon as a thought leader in the cannabis industry, and has been quoted in such publications as The New York Times, The Globe & Mail, Reuters and MJBizDaily.
Prior to joining Cassels Brock, Jonathan was both a summer and articling student at the firm. Jonathan is a graduate of the J.D. program at Osgoode Hall Law School and he earned a Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Accounting from McGill University.
- Chambers Canada (Cannabis)
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events