“A great strategist.” – Client Testimonial, Chambers Canada
John Vettese* is a corporate finance and M&A lawyer practising in the Securities Group. He has acted as lead counsel for a number of public clients and investment dealers involved in complex and innovative securities matters. John's practice is focused in the mining, income trusts, technology and diversified industries sectors, and he has acted as lead counsel on several M&A transactions.
John has significant experience advising emerging and mid-market companies navigating their way through the public markets for the first time. His strong understanding of the commercial objectives of a transaction, together with his practical approach, are frequently relied upon by companies that require more than just legal advice when facing such critical decisions as structuring a going-public transaction, choosing and structuring a business relationship with an underwriter, constructing a management team and board of directors and developing an overall approach to matters of executive compensation and corporate governance.
He has also developed an expertise in the area of cross-border initial public offerings by US emerging and mid-market issuers seeking listings on Canadian stock exchanges.
John is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, Best Lawyers, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada and the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada. At the age of 36, John became the youngest member appointed to the firm’s Executive Committee and is a past Chair of the Securities Group.
Some of John’s representative transactions include:
- Lead counsel for Teranet Income Fund in connection with the $1.6 billion hostile takeover bid by Borealis Infrastructure Management Inc.
- Lead counsel for the underwriters in connection with the $214 million financing by PBS Coals Limited; subsequent merger of PBS Coals with Penfold Capital Acquisition Corporation and subsequent $1 billion takeover by Severstal Resources
- Lead counsel for Amtelecom Income Fund in connection with its successful defence of a hostile takeover bid by Bell Aliant Regional Communications Income Fund and subsequent successful $145 million takeover bid by Bragg Communications Inc.
- Lead counsel for High River Gold Mines Ltd. in connection with its strategic review process and subsequent US$45 million strategic investment and change of control transaction by an affiliate of Severstal Resources
- Lead counsel for Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Ltd. in connection with approximately $1 billion of financings including the strategic investment by Wuhan Iron & Steel Group (China) and the acquisition of Quinto Mining Corporation
- “A great strategist.” – Chambers Canada (Mining)
*denotes Professional Corporation
- Chambers Canada 2016–2018 (Energy & Natural Resources: Mining)
- Chambers Global 2016–2018 (Energy & Natural Resources: Mining)
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2014–2015 (Mining)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011–2017 (Corporate Finance & Securities; Mining)
- Lexpert Special Edition - Global Leaders in Mining 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2010–2018 (Mining Law; Natural Resources Law)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2012, 2014–2015 & 2017 (Mining)
- The 2007 Lexpert Rising Stars: 'Leading Lawyers Under 40'
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association