John Picone is a member of our Litigation Group. His practice focuses on complex securities, corporate, and commercial litigation, with an emphasis on shareholder disputes, oppression claims, class actions, and regulatory investigations. John takes a strategic, analytical, and practical approach to complicated disputes, while focusing on business needs and the big picture.
John has extensive experience representing public and private corporations, directors and senior management, and shareholders in the financial services, pharmaceutical, construction and infrastructure, and mining sectors. He has appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Securities Commission, and other commissions and tribunals.
While in law school, John received numerous scholarships, awards and distinctions, including finishing first in his graduating class. He has since completed a Master of Laws degree from the University of Cambridge, with the designation of specialist in commercial law.
John has recently acted for the following clients:
- Allied Nevada Gold Corporation, and its officers and directors, in a securities class action before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice alleging misleading and inaccurate financial, operational and technical disclosure
- North Halton Golf and Country Club Limited in a securities class action before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice alleging disclosure violations and oppression in respect of a capital restructuring transaction
- Trexs Investments, LLC, a significant shareholder of Eco Oro Minerals Corp., in an appeal before the Ontario Securities Commission relating to a contested issuance of securities pursuant to a financing agreement
- Managers of an offshore investment fund in proceedings before the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice relating to the enforceability of a forum selection clause in a subscription agreement
- A national retail pharmacy chain in proceedings before the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) relating to a pension plan partial wind-up and supplementary pension plan
- An electricity distribution company in a proceeding before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice relating to the issue of discoverability under the Limitations Act, 2002
- Corporate directors in a proceeding before the Environmental Review Tribunal relating to a stay of an order of the director of the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change pending an appeal of that order
- An extra-provincial private company in proceedings before the Court of Appeal for Ontario relating to the jurisdiction of the Ontario courts
- A foreign investment advisory firm in proceedings before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) relating to the payment of certain debts and fees
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Aberdeen International Inc. in proceedings before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) relating to the appointment of an independent chair for a shareholders’ meeting
- A fractional owner of property in proceedings before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice relating to the division of net proceeds of sale
- A significant unitholder of a publicly traded REIT in proceedings before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) relating to the applicability of and compliance with an advance notice policy for the nomination and election of trustees
- A firm of engineers before the Elliot Lake Commission of Inquiry
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles