“Responsive and intelligent.” – Client Testimonial, Chambers Global
Jeffrey Roy is a partner in our Securities Group. His practice focuses on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly advises clients on takeover bids, arrangements and similar transactions. Increasingly, Jeffrey has been involved with cross-border and international mergers and acquisitions and proxy contests.
Notable transactions in which Jeffrey has been involved in include:
- The acquisition of Aurizon Mines by Hecla Mining Company
- The issue of US$1.5 Billion of senior unsecured notes by Goldcorp Inc.
- The acquisition of Avion Gold Mining by Endeavour Mining Corporation
- The acquisition of Extorre Gold Mines by Yamana Gold Inc. (CAD$414 million)
- Allied Nevada Gold Corp. senior note offering with cross currency interest rate swap (CAD$400.4 million)
- The acquisition of Quadra FNX Mining Ltd. by KGHM Polska Miedz S.A. (CAD$3.5 billion)
- The acquisition of 70% of Gold Crocodile Corp.’s common shares by Luxor Capital Group, LP (CAD$105 million)
- The acquisition of Grayd Resource Corporation by Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (CAD$275 million)
- The acquisition of Gold Wheaton Gold Corp. by Franco-Nevada Corporation (CAD$830 million)
- The acquisition of Ventana Gold Corp. by AUX Canada Acquisition Inc. (CAD$1.5 billion)
- The acquisition of Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Ltd. by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (CAD$4.9 billion)
- The Acquisition of Crew Gold Corporation by Nord Gold N.V., a subsidiary of OAO Severstal (CAD$490 million)
- The acquisition of Andean Resources Limited by Goldcorp Inc. (CAD$3.6 billion)
Notable transactions completed in previous years in which Jeffrey has been involved include:
- The issue of $250 million of 7.5% convertible, unsecured subordinated resettable debentures by Uranium One Inc.
- The acquisition of GolfTown Income Fund by OMERS Capital Partners (CAD$238 million)
- The acquisition of E.D. Smith Income Fund by Treehouse (CAD$320 million)
- The initial public offering of Teranet Income Fund (CAD$762 million)
- The acquisition of Tanganyika Oil Company Ltd. by Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation
- The completion of a $250 million rights issue by Katanga Mining Limited
- The acquisition of Gold Eagle Mines Ltd. by Goldcorp Inc.
- The acquisition of Skye Resources Inc. by HudBay Minerals Inc.
- The three-way merger of New Gold Inc., Metallica Resources Inc. and Peak Gold Ltd.
- The acquisition of Scandinavian Minerals Inc. by First Quantum Minerals Ltd.
- The acquisition of Nikanor Plc by Katanga Mining Limited
From 2002 to 2005, Jeffrey served as a member of the Securities Advisory Committee of the Ontario Securities Commission.
For four years, Jeffrey was also an Adjunct Professor on the Faculty of Law at the University of Calgary, where he lectured on topics in corporate and securities law. He has written and spoken on various topics in securities law.
- “A lawyers’ lawyer.” – The Legal 500 Canada (Mining)
- “Responsive and intelligent, gives great practical advice.” - Chambers Global (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011–2016 (Corporate Finance & Securities; Corporate Mid-Market; Mining)
- The Legal 500 Canada (Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A; Energy and Infrastructure)
- IFLR 1000 (Capital Markets; Energy & Infrastructure; M&A)
- Chambers Canada 2016–2017 (Corporate/Commercial)
- Chambers Global 2013 & 2015 (Corporate/M&A)
- Martindale-Hubbell, BV Distinguished™ rating
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013–2017 (Natural Resources Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2013–2015 (Mining)
- Bars of Alberta, Ontario and England
- Canadian Bar Association