Jay F. King
As a partner in the Securities Group, Jay King’s practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory compliance, including corporate governance, continuous disclosure and Canadian stock exchange related matters. Jay has developed specialized skills in the mining sector, and also represents clients in the aviation, real estate and technology sectors. He routinely acts as counsel to both public and private issuers and investment banks.
Jay has worked on a number of significant M&A transactions, including:
- Representing the special committee of Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines in its $4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
- Representing Silver Wheaton Corp. in its $190 million acquisition of Silverstone Resources Corp.
- Representing Katanga Mining Limited in its approximately US$2.7 billion take-over of Nikanor Plc
- Representing Katanga Mining Limited in its defence of a hostile take-over bid by Central African Mining Exploration Plc
- Representing Goldcorp Inc. in its acquisition of assets of Placer Dome from Barrick Gold
- Representing Blue Pearl Mining (now Thompson Creek) in its US$575 million acquisition of Thomson Creek Metals Company
- Representing Lundin Petroleum in its US$700 million acquisition of Valkyries Petroleum
- Representing Dundee Precious Metals, a major shareholder of Goldbelt Resources Ltd., in connection with the approximately $118 million take-over bid by Wega Mining of Goldbelt Resources Ltd.
Jay has worked on a number of significant financing transactions, including:
- Acting for the underwriting syndicate in a $34.5 million bought deal financing by Auryx Gold Corp.
- Representing Katanga Mining Limited in its US$250 million rights offering, US$265.3 million exchangeable credit facility and US$50 million bridge loan
- Acting for Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited in its US$230 million convertible debenture financing
- Representing Yamana Gold Inc. in a $135 million bought deal financing
- Acting for the underwriting syndicate in a $51.6 million bought deal financing by Carpathian Gold Inc.
- Representing the underwriting syndicate in two bought deal financings by Denison Mines for aggregate proceeds of approximately $56 million
- Representing the underwriting syndicate in two bought deal financings by Red Back Mining Inc. for aggregate proceeds of approximately $225 million
- Representing Phoenix Coal Inc. in its reverse take-over of Marimba Capital Corp. and concurrent public financing of approximately $100 million
- Representing the underwriting syndicate in a $73 million bought deal financing of Aecon Group Inc.
- Representing Cargojet Income Fund in its $35 million convertible debenture financing
During his law studies, Jay was the recipient of several awards for academic excellence and commitment to the community and the life of the school.
Prior to attending law school, Jay earned an honours degree in music (B.Mus.) from Wilfrid Laurier University, studying voice under the direction of Dr. David Falk. In 2000, Jay performed the title role of Thésée in the Canadian premiere of Jean Baptist Lully’s opera by the same name.
- Canadian Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Ontario Bar Association (Business Law Section)