Jason is a partner in our Litigation Group. An accomplished litigator, Jason has extensive and varied experience in a broad range of commercial, financial, energy, manufacturing, real estate and construction related matters.
Jason has appeared before all levels of Court and various administrative tribunals and has acted as counsel in complex, multi-party litigation involving issues of substantial claim value arising in Canada and internationally.
Jason’s representative experience includes:
- Upstream and downstream oil and gas litigation including disputes arising from production, operations, services, project development, pipeline, plant and facilities issues
- Commodity marketing (trading) litigation involving forwards, futures and derivatives, including a longstanding mandate for creditors of the world’s largest market maker in relation to termination payment obligations, material adverse change events and the monetization of a $1B portfolio of over-the-counter (OTC) physically and financially settled natural gas and electricity transactions
- Construction and project infrastructure disputes involving owners, contractors and material suppliers in relation to RFP and procurement issues, extras, deficiencies, delays, builder’s lien and other realization matters
- Fraud litigation for a global transportation and logistics provider, resulting in judgment and multi-jurisdictional enforcement proceedings
- Product liability defence for some of the world’s largest manufacturers of medical products and recreational vehicles
- Real estate litigation arising from project development, commercial lease interpretation and enforcement matters and land access issues requiring injunctive relief
- Realization and priority disputes for secured and unsecured creditors, including in respect of proposals and workouts involving insolvent and near insolvent counterparties
- Securities and corporate governance matters involving director liability, shareholder rights and oppression claims, in private and public company contexts
- Whistle-blower, competition and anti-trust matters, including investigations to identify and mitigate areas of substantial legal risk
Jason has also worked with banking and securities regulators on policy and proposed legislation related to swaps and derivatives
Prior to joining Cassels Brock, Jason practiced at another national law firm and founded a litigation boutique serving clients in the energy, real estate and construction sectors across western Canada.
- Jason was awarded the Dr. John McEachern Medal for Distinguished Service in 2014, an award given by the Canadian Cancer Society in honour of its founder for distinguished service in the areas of organizational leadership, governance, public engagement and responsible stewardship of the Society’s people and resources.
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Jason volunteers his time with the Canadian Cancer Society, Canada’s largest health charity, having served in senior leadership capacities on its National Board of Directors and Governance Committee and as Board Chair of the AB/NWT Division.
- Jason held significant oversight accountabilities in these roles, including audit and finance, corporate governance, risk mitigation, and strategic planning.
- Jason has been an active public speaker and policy advocate in relation to numerous federal and provincial cancer control initiatives, including 2014 amendments to the Employment Standards Code permitting Albertans compassionate care leave for a gravely ill family member.