Janice Vohrah is an associate in our Tax Group. She practises in all areas of Canadian income tax law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, financing, commercial transactions and corporate reorganizations.
Prior to joining Cassels Brock as an associate, Janice practised with another prominent Canadian law firm located in Toronto, Ontario, where she gained experience in the areas of tax, trusts and estate planning.
While in law school, Janice participated in the student exchange program and studied at Keele University in the UK. She has also lived and worked in both London, UK, and Tokyo, Japan, prior to attending law school.
- Co-Editor, Taxation Section Newsletter, Ontario Bar Association.
- “OGT Holdings Ltd. v. SMRQ: A Judicial Consideration of the Quebec GAAR” (co-author), Taxation Law, vol. 20, no.1, December 2009.
- “A Comparative Look at the New Canada-Mexico Treaty,” CCH International Tax, no. 33, 12-15, April 2007.
- “Convertible Debt and Withholding Tax: The Interaction of Deeming Provisions of the Income Tax Act,” Corporate Structures and Groups, vol. x, no.3, 571-573, 2007.
- “Winds of Change: Placer Dome v. The Queen” (co-author), CCH International Tax, no.30, 5-9, October 2006.
- “Director’s Liability in Canada: Don’t Get Stuck Paying the Corporation’s Tax Bill” (co-author), Tax Notes International, 579-585, August 14, 2006.
- “Limit the Uncertainty: How Taxpayers Can Protect Themselves and Avoid Reassessments Beyond the Normal Statutory Limitation Period” (co-author), CAmagazine, vol. 139, no.3, 38-40, April 2006.
- Charities, Non-Profits and Philanthropy Under the Income Tax Act (contributing writer), CCH Canada Limited, 2006.
- The Essential GAAR Manual: Policies, Principles and Procedures (contributing writer), CCH Canada Limited, 2006.
- “Why Tax Lawyers Should Care that the Toronto Blue Jays Struck Out” (co-author), CCH Tax Topics, no.1737, 1-7, June 23, 2005.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association – Taxation Section Executive (Newsletter Editor)
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles