Erik Goldsilver is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels Brock and practises in the area of corporate and commercial law with specific expertise in the mining and energy sectors. Erik has advised public and private corporations, municipal and provincial governments, public interest groups and First Nations on a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters, including domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, amalgamations, corporate restructurings, divestitures, joint ventures, project financings and commercial arrangements.
Recent mining transactions or projects in which Erik has been involved, include:
- Advising Goldcorp on the acquisition and divestiture of mining projects in Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina and Australia.
- Advising Yamana Gold Inc. on the acquisition and divestiture of mining projects in Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Brazil and Argentina.
- Advising Kinross Gold Corporation on the acquisition and divestiture of mining projects in Canada and the United States.
- Advising Silver Wheaton Corp. on the purchase of silver production from mines in Mexico, Sweden, Peru, Greece, Canada, the United States, Argentina and Chile.
- Advising Hudbay Minerals Inc. (formerly ONTZINC Corporation) in its $313 million acquisition of Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Co., Limited.
- Advising on and negotiating domestic and international mining agreements, including option agreements, joint venture agreements, royalty agreements, off take agreements and other various commercial mining agreements.
- Advising on and negotiating project financing for mining companies.
Recent energy transactions or projects in which Erik has been involved, include advising:
- The Government of Ontario on the transfer of assets from the former Ontario Hydro to its successor companies.
- Municipalities in the restructuring and disposition of electricity utilities.
- Industrial and commercial electricity consumers on power purchase agreements.
- Enwave District Energy Limited on the construction and implementation of its Deep Lake Water Cooling Project.
- The City of Toronto as the sole shareholder of Toronto Hydro Corporation in connection with an initial public offering of debt securities by Toronto Hydro Corporation.
- The City of Toronto in connection with the monetization of a $490.1 million promissory note issued by Toronto Hydro Corporation and the secondary offering of Toronto Hydro Corporation debentures.
- DeBeers Canada on matters pertaining to the supply of electricity transmission services (including interconnection services and upgrades to existing transmission facilities) for a proposed mining project in Northern Ontario.
- The City of Hamilton as the sole shareholder of Hamilton Utilities Corporation and the merger of Hamilton Hydro Inc. with St. Catharines Hydro Utility Services Inc.
- Ventus Energy Inc. on the sale of wind-generated electricity from facilities in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
- Chambers Global 2013 (Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms (Latin America-wide)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 (Natural Resources Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2012 (Mining)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012 (Mining)
- Chambers Global 2012 (Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms (Latin America-wide)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2011 (Mining)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011 (Mining)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2010 (Mining)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2010 (Mining)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Energy Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events