Deepak Gill* is a partner in our Securities Group. Deepak advises public and private companies on general corporate and securities law issues, including with respect to corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, strategic corporate development, complex agreements, capital market regulatory compliance, continuous disclosure obligations and stock exchange listings. In 2015, Deepak was recognized as being among the top 40 under 40 legal advisors by The M&A Advisor's 6th Annual "40 Under 40 Emerging Leaders Awards". The awards recognize legal advisors, deal makers and service providers from across North America who have reached a significant level of success in the M&A industry before the age of 40. Deepak was the sole Canadian legal advisor selected for the award in 2015.
Deepak’s transactional experience includes domestic and international public and private company financings, going public transactions, joint venture transactions, takeover bids, statutory plans of arrangement, asset purchases and sales and corporate reorganizations. He has also acted for senior levels of government and Crown corporations with respect to procurement matters and the design and implementation of corporate resource management solutions.
Deepak has worked with clients in a broad range of industries, including natural resources, renewable energy, power, technology, transportation, media, retail, telecom, hospitality and financial services. He often advises foreign enterprises with respect to entry-to-Canada matters.
Deepak is the Corporate Secretary of Nickel Creek Platinum Corp., a Toronto Stock Exchange listed company, and of Lithium Americas Corp, a NYSE and Toronto Stock Exchange listed company.
Deepak’s representative experience includes:
- Acting for Antofagasta plc in its US$1.005 billion cash acquisition of a 50% interest in the Zaldivar Copper Mine from Barrick Gold Corporation
- Acting for Antofagasta plc in its $96 million plan of arrangement with Duluth Metals Limited
- Acting for Antofagasta Minerals S.A. on numerous option and joint venture earn-in and strategic alliance transactions
- Acting for NIBE Industrier AB (publ) in its $378 million acquisition of Waterfurnace Renewable Energy, Inc.
- Acting for a geothermal energy company in connection with its acquisition of significant portions of an Icelandic geothermal company
- Acting for a geothermal energy company in connection with its $575 million merger with a run-of-river and wind projects company
- Acting for a leading Canadian gold producer in connection with a $2.5 billion acquisition by way of plan of arrangement
- Acting for a senior level of government with respect to developing a vehicle fleet leasing and management solution
- Acting for a Crown corporation with respect to several procurement matters
- Acting for a leading engineering firm in respect of a joint venture transaction involving a $2.5 billion light rail project in India
- Acting for several early to advanced stage technology companies in connection with various aspects of their corporate development, including formation, implementation of governance structures, shareholder arrangements and raising capital
- Acting for Wellgreen Platinum Ltd. in connection with several private placement financings, the filing of a base shelf prospectus, its graduation to the Toronto Stock Exchange and a $6.9 million bought deal financing
- Acting for a REIT in connection with a $66 million bought deal offering of stapled units
- Acting for the underwriters in connection with various private placement and bought deal financings
Deepak completed a judicial clerkship at the federal Tax Court of Canada following graduation from law school.
*denotes Law Corporation
- Named one of the "40 Under 40 Emerging Leaders" by The M&A Advisor (2015)
- Recognized as Key Practitioner in regard to Latin American matters by Latinvex
- Module Lecturer, Business Law Capstone Course, Peter A. Allard School of Law (UBC)
- Director, Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce (B.C.)
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Arbitration Advisory Group of the Attorney General of British Columbia
- Member, Institute of Corporate Directors
- Member, Strategic Advisory Council of Ascend Canada (Vancouver Chapter)
- Presenter (“Investing in Canada’s Mining Industry”), British Columbia – Ministry of Mines (India) Mining Roundtable, New Delhi, 2011
- Participant, British Columbia – Ministry of Mines (India) Joint Working Group Meeting, Vancouver, 2012
- Attendee, China Mining Congress, Tianjin, China, 2011
- Attendee, Global Mining Summit, Kolkata, India, 2009
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events