Cathy Mercer practises in the area of corporate and commercial law with a strong emphasis on mining law, mergers and acquisitions and the servicing of public companies and general securities work.
She has extensive knowledge in drafting and negotiating mining royalty agreements, streaming agreements, option agreements and joint venture agreements. Cathy has also been engaged in transactions involving the debt financing of companies whose mines are on the verge of commercial production. Cathy has been involved in numerous reverse takeover and "shell" transactions, as well as the listing of public companies.
Cathy's experience includes acting on the following transactions:
- Lundin Mining’s US$1.8 billion acquisition of the Candelaria mine (Chile) from Freeport-McMoran and related equity financing and metal streaming transaction
- Cartesian Capital Group’s acquisition of a gold prepayment stream and the making of an equity investment in K92 Mining (which is the holder of the Irumafimpa license in Papua New Guinea)
- Yamana Gold’s sale of its Mercedes Mine in Mexico in exchange for cash, securities and certain royalties for aggregate consideration of C$140.0 million
- Sandstorm Gold’s acquisition of a royalty portfolio containing 56 royalties from Teck Resources Limited for US$22.0 million
- Yamana Gold’s sale of its Ernesto/Pau-A Pique Project in Mato Grosso Brazil to Aura Minerals Inc. for certain securities and a 2% net smelter return royalty
- Yamana Gold’s $17.5 million acquisition of Mega Precious Metals
- The acquisition by Blackstone Tactical Opportunities, an affiliate of Blackstone, of a minority ownership interest in the Renard diamond stream granted by Stornoway Diamond Corporation, by way of a secondary market transaction with Orion Mine Finance
- The acquisition by Sandstorm Gold Ltd. of a 1.0% gross proceeds royalty on the production from the Diavik mine. from IAMGOLD Corporation for US$52.5 million in cash and 3 million warrants of Sandstorm
- The acquisition by Antofagasta plc (Antofagasta) from Barrick Gold Corporation (Barrick) of a 50 per cent interest in Compañia Minera Zaldívar Limitada (Zaldívar) that holds the Zaldívar copper mine located in northern Chile
- The restructuring by Sandstorm Gold Ltd. of its previous gold stream with Luna Gold Corp. into a 3% to 5% sliding scale NSR royalty on the Aurizona project as well as a 2% NSR royalty on Luna Greenfields, the 190,073 hectares of exploration ground adjacent to the Aurizona project
- The acquisition by Sandstorm Gold Ltd. of a 1% net smelter return royalty on Columbus Gold Corp’s Paul Isnard project in French Guiana
Cathy practices in both official languages.
- Chambers Global 2015 (Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms (Latin America-wide)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014–2018 (Natural Resources Law)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011–2017 (Mining)
- Latinvex (Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association