Ann Watterworth* is a partner in the Business Law Group at Cassels Brock, as well as a member of the Mining Group. She has a corporate practice with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions. In addition, Ann advises clients on a wide range of commercial agreements including, in the mining context, option agreements, off-take agreements, joint venture agreements, drilling contracts, mining services agreements and EPCM contracts.
A few of Ann’s notable projects in the mining and energy fields include:
- Counsel to Goldcorp Inc. in connection with its divestiture of the Escobal Project to Tahoe Resources Inc. and its divestiture of the San Dimas Mine to Primero Gold Inc.
- Counsel to Lake Shore Gold in connection with its acquisition of certain mining properties from Barrick Gold
- Counsel to Tonbridge Power Inc. in connection with its purchase of all the issued and outstanding shares in the capital of Rocky Mountain Power Ltd.
- Counsel to Quetzal Energy Inc. in connection with its purchase of all of the issued and outstanding shares in the capital of Petrolatina Corporation from Petrolatina Energy PLC
- Counsel to FNX Mining Company Inc. in connection with its purchase of the mining services business from Sherritt International Corporation and Dynatec Corporation USA
- Counsel to Dundee Precious Metals Inc. in connection with its acquisition of an additional 15% indirect interest in the Kapan Mining Project in Southern Armenia
Ann also has significant experience in the health care area. Some of Ann’s projects in this area include:
- Counsel to Veris Health Sciences Inc. in establishing its clinics in Canada and Europe relating to the treatment of macular degeneration
- Counsel to the Baxter Group of Companies in connection with various acquisitions and divestitures including the negotiation of its joint venture with Sabex Inc., its purchase of the anaesthesia business from Zeneca Pharma Inc. and the spin off of the cardiovascular division to Edwards Lifesciences
- Counsel to the Canadian Blood Services in the acquisition of the blood assets from the Canadian Red Cross Society
Ann frequently acts for business owners on restructuring, mergers and acquisitions and providing general corporate advice. She also frequently acts for the Canadian subsidiaries of international corporations and assists international corporations with setting up their Canadian operations.
Ann is involved in many areas of community endeavour. She is the past Chair of the Canadian Women’s Foundation Professional Breakfast and is Co-chair of the CWF 100 Fundraising Committee for the Canadian Women’s Foundation. She is a member of the Girls’ Fund Committee. Ann has also served on the boards of Organization of Women in International Trade – Ontario, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) – Toronto Chapter and Ronald McDonald House (Toronto). Among other organizations, she is a member of the Women Presidents’ Organization – Toronto Chapter.
Ann regularly speaks and writes, including authoring the Mergers and Acquisitions chapter for Carswell’s Canada – U.S. Cross-Border Commercial Law Guide. Ann’s speaking engagements include speaking to the Toronto Venture Group’s seminar on 'Women and Technology' and addressing the Women Presidents’ Organization on 'Selling Your Business'. Ann has appeared on ROB TV and is a lecturer at Western University's Mining Law course.
*denotes Professional Corporation
- Martindale-Hubbell, BV Distinguished™ rating
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Women's Foundation (Member, Girls’ Fund Committee)
- Ontario Bar Association
- Women Presidents' Organization
- Women in Trade - Ontario (Director)
- Canadian Women in Mining
|Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Past Chair of the Canadian Women’s Foundation Professional Breakfast
- Co-chair of the CWF 100 Fundraising Committee for the Canadian Women’s Foundation
- Member of the Girls’ Fund Committee
- Member of the Women Presidents’ Organization – Toronto Chapter
- Former board member of: Organization of Women in International Trade – Ontario
- Former board member of Ronald McDonald House (Toronto)