Andrew M. Reback
Andrew Reback focuses on tax law and has extensive experience in cross-border mergers and acquisitions/divestitures, domestic and international tax planning, corporate reorganizations, public offerings, financings and estate planning.
A few examples of Andrew's recent work in these areas include:
- Represented Trivest Partners, LP regarding its acquisition of Hazmasters Inc.
- Represented Yancoal Canada Resources Co., Ltd. a subsidiary of Yanzhou Coal Mining Company Limited regarding its acquisition of potash mineral exploration permits in the Province of Saskatchewan from Devonian Potash Inc. and North Atlantic Potash Inc.
- Represented various US based restaurant chains and food service businesses in structuring their expansion into Canada.
- Represented CF Industries Holdings, Inc. regarding its acquisition of Viterra's interest in Canadian Fertilizers Limited.
- Represented the majority shareholders of MBE Transatlantic Inc., a company carrying on the Mail Boxes Etc. and The UPS Store business, regarding their share sale to Next Level Holdings Inc.
- Represented Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. regarding its acquisition of the Chrysler Group of Companies.
- Represented Pfizer Inc. and Pfizer Canada Inc. regarding the $16.6 billion US sale of the Pfizer Consumer Healthcare Business to Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- Represented Cushman & Wakefield, Inc. regarding its acquisition of Royal LePage Commercial Inc.
- Represented Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. regarding its acquisition of assets and interests relating to the Alamo and National Car rental business.
- Represented Cargojet Income Fund regarding its $60 million initial public offering and acquisition of Cargojet Holdings Inc.
- Represented Golf Town Income Fund regarding its $110 million initial public offering and acquisition of Golf Town Canada Inc.
- Represented Amtelecom Income Fund regarding its $60 million initial public offering and acquisition of the communications business of Amtelecom Group Inc.
- Represented BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. regarding its $228 million valued acquisition of Glyko Biomedical Ltd.
- Represented Contrans Income Fund regarding its conversion to an income trust and $50 million initial public offering.
- Represented TVX Gold Inc. regarding its $3.5 billion business combination by way of plan of arrangement with Kinross Gold Corporation and Echo Bay Mines Ltd.
- Represented Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. regarding its acquisition of telecommunication assets from various Teleglobe related entities.
- Represented various athletes such as members of the Toronto Raptors in structuring tax planning strategies.
- Represented various high net worth individuals regarding tax planning strategies.
Andrew also represents clients in relation to assessments by Canada Revenue Agency and the Ministry of Finance. He is frequently consulted on matters relating to the acquisition of Canadian entities by foreign corporations as well as the acquisition of foreign entities by Canadian corporations.
In addition to his legal practice, Andrew is an author. He recently co-authored a book entitled Canada - U.S. Commercial Law Guide. He is also frequently quoted in the National Post and has spoken on various topics at tax seminars held in Toronto. In November 2011 Andrew spoke at the Restaurant Finance and Development Conference on US companies expanding into Canada.
Andrew completed one year of the core course at McGill's Faculty of Management (1987-1988) before transferring to the Faculty of Law.
Biographie en français
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Ontario Bar Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles